Bedroom Tobacco

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I like the smell of my pipes and tobacco in my room. My girlfriend is a non smoker, but she likes the smell of pipe tobacco and cigars so it's never a problem for me.

That's what she says NOW.... puffy

Men marry with the expectation their wives will never change.

Women marry with the expectation they will be able to change their husbands.

:)

I don't smoke in the house but I do in the man cave but my pipes and tobacco are stored in the house.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Storing tobacco in a room, and smoking tobacco in a room are two different questions. Tobacco in containers giving off a whiff of fragrance is, to many people, like perfume. Pipe smoke itself is a second question, highly variable depending on the blend, the constituent tobaccos, any non-tobacco flavoring, proportions of tobaccos, etc. But the real question is, the residual odor(s) of pipe smoke long after the smoking has ended. Pipe smoke can pervade fabric, furniture, and even the walls and paint, etc. How that smells over time is debatable. I smoke mostly in my study, and I can detect little or nothing (of course). I smoke in our bedroom sparingly for these reasons. My wife is tolerant of my pipe. I smoke a bowl a day, sometimes two, sometimes none, so it is not ever present.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Was told to keep tobacco and pipes in the garage. Got an air filter in the study and kept them there. But I never smoke inside. I didn't know how bad smoke smell is until I switch to vape from cigarettes. I don't smell pipe smoke on me, but I'm sure others do.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think the smells and the strength / permanency of those smells associated with pipe smoking are overstated. I also think that in most cases, a pipe smoker WILL be able to tell if their house etc. stinks like tobacco smoke. I also think that except in extreme cases, smoking in your house is not going to harm the property value in any manner whatsoever.

Unlike cigarette smokers, most of us are not constantly lighting up to the extent that we become desensitized to the tobacco smoke smell. Despite being a pipe smoker, my sense of smell is quite good and more sensitive than most, including compared to plenty of non-smokers. If I leave my house for a day or two then come back, I can smell everything anew. There have been very few times that there was ever much of a tobacco smoke type of smell after being gone from the house for a couple days. I smoke inside often, and in all fairness I generally crack two windows and turn on a ceiling fan so as to get some ventilation, but I've noticed no problems at all with my place smelling like smoke etc.

What really stinks, and I'm convinced is responsible for a substantial amount of "gross stale tobacco" scents, is an unemptied ashtray. This is especially true for an ashtray with cigar or cigarette butts in it. Those stink to the high heavens and will stink up your house / apartment / etc.

My parents are former cigarette smokers, and they smoked cigarettes pretty often in the house that I grew up in. It was a nice house, and very well decorated and maintained. When they sold the house in about 2010 they had numerous offers over asking price within the first couple weeks. Also, some of the couches and stuffed chairs they have are now used in another relative's house who is a non-smoker and would not want a "gross old smoky" set of furniture.

All that said, I still probably wouldn't keep my pipes in my bedroom or smoke in there puffy

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
personal I am never going to marry anyone. I don't see how a registering a relationship is going to help on any front. And honestly knowing I can walk out without a lawyers help probably keeps my moral up.
I've been married twice. Never again. The relationship I'm in now has lasted 11 years and no plans for marriage. She has no desire for marriage either. We're both in our 50's so this works for us. She enjoys the smell of my pipes and cigars, so that's a plus.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've been married twice. Never again. The relationship I'm in now has lasted 11 years and no plans for marriage. She has no desire for marriage either. We're both in our 50's so this works for us. She enjoys the smell of my pipes and cigars, so that's a plus.
That reminds me I knew two people who both got married three times each time it ended shortly afterwards and now they're both in a long term no marriage relationship. The interesting thing is they married each other three times broke up shortly after then finally realized that marriage was the problem and not each other. Me I've been with my girlfriend for over 20 years now.

Reactions: HitchensDog

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke in my bed and I answer to know one. If I am feeling magnanimous I will smoke Molto DOlce or Blood Red Moon while playing Gin with my live in care taker, but those are the only exceptions I make.

Reactions: J.GANDY

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
personal I am never going to marry anyone. I don't see how a registering a relationship is going to help on any front. And honestly knowing I can walk out without a lawyers help probably keeps my moral up.
You don’t always have to register a relationship for it to involve lawyers. You might want to brush up on common law marriages, or perhaps that doesn’t apply to you either. Nonetheless, I know someone who wasn’t “married”, and it still turned ugly...

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I keep my daily rotation of tobacco in my office/studio desk drawer, which is just off of our livingroom. I am fairly new to piping so I don't have a cellar or storage of mass as of yet, only about 3/4's of a pound for smoking. However, when I start buying larger quantities that will be stored in the bedroom closet. So far my wife hasn't complained of tobacco smelling, and the mild fragrance that does waft around is really kind of like a tobacco potpourri.

I do not smoke indoors. That would be a different story entirely with my wife most certainly!

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You don’t always have to register a relationship for it to involve lawyers. You might want to brush up on common law marriages, or perhaps that doesn’t apply to you either. Nonetheless, I know someone who wasn’t “married”, and it still turned ugly...
yeah I'am aware of common law marriages and how they're not a thing in my state.