PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the recommendations, folks.
I normally just let my beard grow but have to keep it short because it gets chaotic and unruly. Plus, the dry skin is annoying, nothing worse than beard dandruff.

Oct 31, 2014
Beard oil isn't for men. It's for your lady.
It makes your beard soft instead of scraggly, and also smells good. My wife loves the scent of my pipe smoke and beard oil mixed together. And she doesn't complain that my beard scratches her anymore.
I use the "mechanic" scent from www.dreambeard.com They have the best quality stuff at the best price point in my experience.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I went to the local drug store this morning to look at some beard oil. I figure maybe I'm missing something. It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. I was there half an hour looking at the different beard oils. I became confused, which is easy to do. I left with no beard oil. Here's what I'm gonna do.
Some of you mentioned making your own. So I tried that approach.
My father was almost bald, I'm almost there. He used to mix up an egg, oil and vinegar, and rub it on his head three times a week. He swore it grew hair and made his hair softer. And I believe he did grow some hair.
So this morning I mixed up a batch. I used the best olive oil, because I'm Italian, I know my olive oil. I used balsamic vinegar, and an egg. I rubbed it into my beard for a few minutes and then left it there for another few minutes. I then showered.
I didn't notice any difference yet, it might take a few batches, but my wife said I smelled like a salad.
I'll keep you guys posted. If it works, I may be on to a patent.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
For folks in the UK, I've heard good things about Captain Fawcett's products - mostly their moustache wax, but they also offer beard oil. And their UK website lists local stockists, so you can figure out where to find their products:
Captain Fawcett
And at the risk of repeating myself, I've worn a beard since about 1994. At various times, it's been kept trimmed short, grown out to Grizzly Adams proportions, and occasionally referred to by my wife as 'that marmot on your face' (she does prefer it neatly groomed). It's only been in the last couple of years that I've noted a tendency toward dry skin and occasional dandruff specifically from the beard, and beard oil has been the best solution I've found. Since I obviously don't use aftershave any more and never got into the habit of wearing cologne, it's also an option for adding scent to one's person.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Ive been growing for about a year now and been trying all kinds of oil, so far the best is just a little bit of coconut oil if you dont mind smelling like cookies

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have never used beard oil, but I do use Corn Husker Lotion in the winter months. It is non-greasy and less expensive than beard oils.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Just got some in the mail. I am growing a beard because I just got out of the military and I don't want to shave for awhile. Just put it on. I will keep you posted on my thoughts about the product.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I also use conditioner on my stache in the shower. However, occasionally before I go to bed, I will also massage in a bit of Equate skin cream, and sometimes with a bit of jojoba oil.
I have an empty wax tin that I am going to mix in some jojoba oil, skin cream, and Mane & Tail conditioner, and make a sort of conditioning paste. Not sure how it will work, but I will find out.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've been rocking a beard since 1979. I've only used beard oil (and beard balsam / balm) on it over the past couple of years (mainly 'cos my wife bought me some one Christmas...). The oil is really for conditioning the skin under the beard but does make it easier to comb and trim (well, in my experience it does).
The balm is something that gets rubbed into the beard at night and makes it soft and smell nice - and I assume that is why my wife bought it - but essentially acts like a conditioner for the beard.
In Australia these can be bought quite cheaply in Woolworths or most pharmacies.
:puffpipe:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Since my last post in this thread 4 years ago, my mother has taken to creating oils and creams. She made me some marvelous beard oil.

Mar 1, 2014
Olive oil has anti-bacterial properties so I use it to help keep a chronic skin rash in check, sometimes with 5% Tea Tree Oil if need be.

Among the products you can buy the stuff with Tea Tree Oil seems to have the most appealing smell and practical benefit, but mixing your own is incredibly easy and probably an order of magnitude cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.