PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Anyone know the history of the Bulldog/Rhodesian shape? I am wondering why the beads around the bowl are a part of it. Was there ever a functional aspect or just an aesthetic element that’s persisted? Either way, just nabbed a Peterson Squire. My first pipe of theirs actually. About to enjoy it…
Good for you. I nabbed a squire a few months back. I think it's the most attractive factory-made bulldog on the market with a great bowl capacity.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
From what I've read, they started in France.
My understanding is that the Bulldog shape, like many we now think of as quintessially British, originated in France. The French called the shape a Haiti - haven't come across a satisfactory answer as to why it was called such.

The bead line originally was that - a line of beads, later simplified to 2 parallel grooves. You can find Bulldogs, including some Petes, sporting beads still.

Reactions: Reggie and jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The channels and beading provide a design element that nicely separates the upper converging plane from the lower expanding plane.
But not all bull dogs have the beading. My 1907 Barling bull dog doesn’t have beading.
Most of the classical canon was developed in France.
The SP article is interesting, if not terribly accurate. For example, the fascination with straight grains dates back to the 1880’s. There are surviving ads touting the development of the straight grain from that period. So interest in grain goes back a long ways.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The channels and beading provide a design element that nicely separates the upper converging plane from the lower expanding plane.
But not all bull dogs have the beading. My 1907 Barling bull dog doesn’t have beading.
Most of the classical canon was developed in France.
The SP article is interesting, if not terribly accurate. For example, the fascination with straight grains dates back to the 1880’s. There are surviving ads touting the development of the straight grain from that period. So interest in grain goes back a long ways.
one would imagine fascination with grain started with the first piece of wood anyone worked with, not just in pipes. There are somethings people just find interesting and appealing. Seriously I am sure the grain was noted on the first pipe ever carved. Or maybe that's just me who can look at a piece of wood with as much interest as others put into Art.

Reactions: buck17 and OzPiper
The bulldog was the first full fraised (machine made) pipe, that was then capped it brass to appeal to the wealthy. But, by the time the pipes trickledown to the working man, they’d pull the caps off and smoke them without all of the decorative metalwork that was formed on presses. The beadline was part of what held the caps on. It is very rare to find one with a full cap.
1629548503367.jpeg
But, the beadline was a part of what held the decorations on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The bulldog was the first full fraised (machine made) pipe, that was then capped it brass to appeal to the wealthy. But, by the time the pipes trickledown to the working man, they’d pull the caps off and smoke them without all of the decorative metalwork that was formed on presses. The beadline was part of what held the caps on. It is very rare to find one with a full cap.
View attachment 93761
Interesting, I've only we've seen caps held in place by pins.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and buck17

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
That's a Rhodesian. The diamond shank of a bulldog leads into the base of its bowl.
View attachment 93761
Thanks for that!!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
View attachment 93761
Now that's interesting and a very logical reason.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
The first smoke was very easy going. I love the thickness of this version. Tobaccopipes has it explained as a BullMoose, some sub-category. I’m not sure how many people actually use that term, I just call it a bent bulldog. Anyway, I was expecting to have to learn it a little better because it’s also my first P-Lip. Uh oh, I have mentioned another polarizing pipe development! ? Overall, happy I received one of the good ones. Loving the historical theories around the beads too.