PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170824-the-us-land-lost-in-canada
I believe they are talking about the northernmost point in the contiguous United States. Not the continental United States. Alaska is indeed on the same continent as the all the other states excepting Hawaii.
I mention this only because BBC can be pretentious and it's not often I've caught such a simple mistake. It's very early in the morning to be feeling so smug! :nana:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It reminded me of Campobello Island, a Canadian island only accessible by car through Maine. Roosevelt liked it :mrgreen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campobello_Island

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always amused at the way BBC handles U.S. geography, and also the gingerly way they sometimes mispronounce the names of states and cities. I must admit, I am totally unclear about regions and especially accents of the different regions of Britain. They have several "presenters" with profound regional British accents, but I have no means of knowing where they are from. Yorkshire? Wales? Some of them are amazingly ungainly, but included to demonstrate that BBC isn't being elitist or classist, I guess. French broadcasters used to pronounce Waco, TX, as "Wacko." U.S. broadcasters have language problems as well. They've completely lost track of the difference between "less" and "fewer" at all levels. It's fewer if you can count it, but most now just revert to less. Less people. Less cars. Both of which you can easily count. Hawaii was recently referred to, by a member of Congress, as "some island," as if the speaker didn't know it was a state. Oh well, ignorance abounds all about.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The BBC is no longer the news broadcaster it once was. It was at one time amongst the most respected of news gathering and reporting organizations in the world, alas it is no more.
News reporters nowadays have little or no understanding of basic English syntax and even worse pronunciation. It makes one wonder where they learned their trade...if indeed they did.
We have 'libry' for library, 'seckertry' for secretary, 'febury' for February, 'parlyment' for parliament...the list goes on.
It never used to be like this.
And they wonder why the kids of today are unable to speak correctly!
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not many people know exactly what "lower 48" means either. And, either word excludes the District of Columbia. A few people would aver the "DC" is included without being specified. But, a lot of Americans firmly believe Puerto Rico is a state. Even more believe Alaska and Hawaii are both islands, located just off the coast of Mexico, just below California.
Surely, a BBC editor or, their "fact checker," knows the correct word!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Even more believe Alaska and Hawaii are both islands, located just off the coast of Mexico, just below California.
We all know that Alaska is indeed an island, but located off the coast of Russia. Hawaii is near Guam, right? New Jersey is off the coast of Pennsylvania.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
You might be surprised at how many Americans don't know that New Mexico is a state.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Years ago I worked with a girl who asked some visiting friends from Alaska how they got here. (California) They said they drove. She says how did you do that? With a confused look, they said in their car. She said, no I mean didn't you have to take a boat first?

She actually thought that Alaska was an island off the coast of the US! Where did she get that idea?
From many US maps that look like this. She probably doesn't know where Mexico is either would be my guess. How do get out of high school not knowing this stuff?

usa-map-showing-50-states-compressor-600x375.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It's the copy editors who catch these types of errors and they were the first to be cut when the Internet started undermining the news business. I imagine very few news agencies these days employ copy editors. Reporters are more valued for their Web, photo and video editing skills than having a working knowledge of the art of communication.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Reporters are more valued for their Web, photo and video editing skills than having a working knowledge of the art of communication."
How very true. The job of proofreader at most news (printed, broadcast & web based) outlets is a thing of the past. When they were employed you never noticed of course but since they are no more it becomes glaringly obvious.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It was at one time amongst the most respected of news gathering and reporting organizations in the world, alas it is no more.
I agree, but this is true of most media. Part of that is the internet reducing their profit margins. You do not get top-notch talent by paying them peanuts, and if you select your top talent by clickbait and popularity, you get idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.