PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Here's a new one to me, a BBB Unbreakable Meerschaum, hallmarked by Hollins & Jacques in 1889. Unfortunately it's not in amazing condition and has a replacement stem, but I bought it for next to nothing out of curiosity. I think I've seen something similar before, but have struggled to find any information in the usual sources.

I'm not sure if the metal piece in the bowl is original or something someone has added similar to the mesh screens. The stem screws straight on to a threaded piece of silver (all the same piece as the band).
17114442032542339035345732941593.jpg17114442319052283911447407730476.jpg17114443028411675161744465134106.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@jaingorenard: Very nice as Borat would say! You have a pretty pre-colored BBB meerschaum pipe with what looks to be a fairly decent case. Contrary to popular rumor I am not an expert on all things 19th century meerschaum but I can tell you a few useless bits of information about the pipe. You are correct it would have had an amber stem and probably would have unscrewed in the fashion of the pipe I posted the other day that @Chasing Embers kindly posted a link too. The metal 'thing' in the bowl is very interesting and quite rare. It is the 19th century answer to the 'Philt Pad' or 'Butt Plug' that were added to meerschaum pipes to aid in coloring. For a fuller explanation to this see @Chasing Embers very useful posts on using silver washers to color your meerschaum. I have actually seen a box of these things shown in the picture at Inderwicks Pipe Shop and they dated from the early 1900s and had been found in a store room. In this case it may have been added as a way of stopping ash getting sucked into the stem or the mistaken belief that it would aid in cooling the smoke. How much did you pay for the pipe if I may be so forward as to inquire?

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
@jaingorenard: Very nice as Borat would say! You have a pretty pre-colored BBB meerschaum pipe with what looks to be a fairly decent case. Contrary to popular rumor I am not an expert on all things 19th century meerschaum but I can tell you a few useless bits of information about the pipe. You are correct it would have had an amber stem and probably would have unscrewed in the fashion of the pipe I posted the other day that @Chasing Embers kindly posted a link too. The metal 'thing' in the bowl is very interesting and quite rare. It is the 19th century answer to the 'Philt Pad' or 'Butt Plug' that were added to meerschaum pipes to aid in coloring. For a fuller explanation to this see @Chasing Embers very useful posts on using silver washers to color your meerschaum. I have actually seen a box of these things shown in the picture at Inderwicks Pipe Shop and they dated from the early 1900s and had been found in a store room. In this case it may have been added as a way of stopping ash getting sucked into the stem or the mistaken belief that it would aid in cooling the smoke. How much did you pay for the pipe if I may be so forward as to inquire?
Very interesting - thank you! I will make sure to leave the butt plug in situ. The case is indeed in much nicer condition than most I've picked up.

I'm wondering if it once had a silver cap, as the case is very slightly taller than the bowl (that also might explain the black staining round the top - a glue of some kind? It doesn't seem like tar or char, and isn't even enough to be a deliberate stain. Either that or someone topped it slightly and did a poor job of staining the rim black).

I paid £20, and in person I'd say it's in nicer condition than it looked in the photos.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
A ‘reinforced’ bowl!!! Never seen that before, must be original though, hence the unbreakable name?
Definitely looks like it once had a silver cap as you say. An interesting pipe, wonder who they marketed an ‘idiot proof & unbreakable’ meerschaum for, Isle of Man? Forest of Dean? The Welsh? Surely not! Lol
More likely for the intrepid Victorian explorer or military man.

If you grow to like it, might be worth asking Peterson’s to put a new silver cap on it for you. Or Northern Briars.

• Haha
Reactions: jaingorenard

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@jaingorenard: It is the earlier version of the little mesh wire baskets that came along during or just after WW1. I have a bag of the things that @simong gave me on a visit to the States last year when we did the cross country drive to pick up all the late @weezel tobacco and donate it to the P.A Pipe Club! Here is a picture of one....

thumbnail-3.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@jaingorenard : As an after thought I am wondering whether the pipe had (a) a silver rim (b) or got chipped and the owner had it topped thus explaining the gap in the case. I have a couple that seem to have suffered that fate.