PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is something for the Sunday afternoon forum nerds! I have quite a few BBB meerschaum 'cutty' pipes most of which I have owned for years. They all get smoked on a very regular basis and quite a few of them have silver bands or repairs which is pare for the course with anything this old. Sundays is my polish silver bands day and routine pipe maintenance since I am guaranteed no dumb arse phone calls requesting instant free gratification legal services/drafting etc. Anyway my question to the panel is how old is this damned BBB pipe. I used to think the hallmark was 1897 but then again it could be from the 1920s although I didn't think BBB made meerschaum 'cutty' pipes that late. I suppose it could be a later repair or something odd. The hallmark is an anchor on its side, lion and the letter X. Any thoughts, guesstimates?

thumbnail-2.jpegthumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpegthumbnail-4.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ashdigger : That pipe is not 1920s. Whilst it is a different style it is similar to those two 'Ripper Pipes' I have from the 19th century that belonged to the Detective on the Ripper case. I guess we really need to look at a BBB catalogue to see what they were selling back in the day.

Reactions: Latakia Dave