PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Happened upon this BBB pipe with what appears to be an amber stem and a rather long one at that. Hallmarks are Birmingham 1892 and pipe is in original case. It looks like a crack in the stem, not sure if it's all the way through or not.
My questions are:
What's it worth?
Is it rare?
Is that stem real amber?
If cracked is is salvageable?

I haven't reached out to the seller yet but will do so today and get more pics of "that" crack and bowl/chamber but thought I'd share and seek feedback here too.
IMG_4903.jpegIMG_4902.jpegIMG_4901.jpegIMG_4900.jpegIMG_4899.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1. It’s worth what someone is willing to pay.
2. Yes, it’s rare. However, rarity doesn’t automatically translate to valuable. Condition matters.
3. Possibly. It looks like amber. But, this is a photograph and not the equivalent of having it in hand.
4. Possibly. Many a damaged amber stem has been glued back together. Keep in mind that amber is both brittle and fragile.

Reactions: jguss

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
1. It’s worth what someone is willing to pay.
2. Yes, it’s rare. However, rarity doesn’t automatically translate to valuable. Condition matters.
3. Possibly. It looks like amber. But, this is a photograph and not the equivalent of having it in hand.
4. Possibly. Many a damaged amber stem has been glued back together. Keep in mind that amber is both brittle and fragile.
Yes understood. The crack appears to be clean so I was hopeful it may be ok in so much as it has been repaired or can be. It was the length of stem which caught my eye and I guess most of them have broken for this very reason and no longer exist, hence my rarity question.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That’s a lovely old bulldog 😍

Old amber is very fragile and can snap or flake easily.
That stem can be repaired (?) reinforced with an inner metal tube.
If you’re planning to have it in your regular rotation, getting an extra stem (acrylic) mad may be practical.

Reactions: Toast and paulfg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You can have the amber reinforced with a silver band or as @OzPiper suggested have a stainless steel inner tube inserted. I own a lot of pipes with amber stems. Amber is very fragile, degrades in sun light and is an all round a general nightmare. Since the pipe is a BBB and made in 1892 the chances of the stem being amber are pretty high. You might also want to inquire about the structural integrity of the hinges and latch on the case. Good luck!