PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If you want to mess around with them, bring a small pen light and shine it in to the bowl from the shank (part the stem fits in to). Look at the light pattern at the bottom of the bowl and say "Hmmmmmm. Interesting." Then you ask for a discount. If questioned, just say "Well isn't that obvious?" Good luck!
:lol:
More great advice, everyone. Thanks.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Another option instead of a basket pipe is a Falcon with interchangeable bowls. I have a Falcon with a International stem and a briar bowl. Just an idea...another option you have.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Things I avoid when selecting a pipe: varnished, glossy finishes, lack of grain structure, pre-treated bowl insides, pipes that feel heavy relative to others in the basket.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Something else you may wish to consider if nothing looks appealing in the basket is Savinelli's subsidiary Rossi.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Something else you may wish to consider if nothing looks appealing in the basket is Savinelli's subsidiary Rossi.
+1

Rossi pipes really are close to Savinelli in terms of smoking characteristics—just with different finishes.
The reason I'm looking at basket pipes is because I'm new to all this. Maybe I should have said so in my OP, but it seems nearly all my opening posts as a new member explained this. I don't have the budget for Rossi pipes, or any branded pipes for that matter, but even if I did I'd still be looking at basket pipes for now. When I've established it's a hobby I'm going to stick with, maybe then I'll start to consider.... I mean dream, about branded pipes.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
What is your budget for the pipe? Basket pipe prices are all over the place.
I only know of one place local to me that sells pipes, and their baskets are within my range.
I could tell you my budget but most of the regular posters have had their say on the matter and I fear it would only mean going over old ground. Suffice to say my budget isn't going to get me anything amazing.
I'm truly grateful for all the advice, but I really didn't want this thread to turn into 'A good beginner's pipe' discussion. I merely wanted some advice on separating the duds from the (potentially) decent smokers, when it comes to BP. Which, incidently, many have provided :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As someone mentioned here, basket pipes are often not that cheap. If you get up around fifty or sixty bucks, you can proceed to the regular pipe wall, and for an additional ten or twenty, get a name brand. Apply the same critical standards, and ask for information and suggestions according to your faith in the staff, and go home and think about it if you want. Since pipes are often companions for life, whether they are being smoked or not, you may as well have something that at least serves the purpose when wanted. Basket pipes are worthwhile when you happen across one that is clearly the pick of the basket litter or got there by mistake.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
True dat, MSO. At my local shop all basket pipes are $35. Roughly three times the price of the cheapest pipe: a cob. Since the OP doesn't like cobs, I won't suggest them, but I do want to emphasise that basket pipes don't go for the price of a Czech tool (and if there were one selling for such a pittance, I would NOT be buying it!).
When I got my first pipe, I didn't care for the basket ones and I went for a briar churchwarden that was $49, which, when you really look at it, wasn't much of an upgrade over a basket one, at least in terms of price. The real nice ones started in the $70 range, and even those ones were low grade. Stuff like the Savinelli Romas was ~$114; these are nicer grade but still nothing to be bragging about. All prices are in Canadian dollars, so you can go to www.xe.com and compare.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I threw the Rossi Vittoria option out there for the $43 price tag. Basket pipes around here are $35-$40 and tend to get banged around a bit.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I was going to weigh in, but bent1 covered 100% of what I was going to say. :)
Also maybe not for now, but possibly down the road, Morgan Bones pipes might be something to consider. (I do know you're in the UK.) They're good quality & definitely moderately priced. By dumb-luck happenstance I came on one unsmoked that I picked up for $40-American that is a really nice smoker. My only apple & also my only Bones, but I find myself going to it a lot when I want a good ~30-minute smoke! More info on Bones here:
https://www.morganpipes.com/store/p61/Bones_Pipes.html
Mega-luck to you! :):)
Bill

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Also maybe not for now, but possibly down the road, Morgan Bones pipes might be something to consider.
His range of nosewarmers are by far my favourite of any pipes I've so far come across. I don't seem to be able to find this one on his website (discontinued/out of stock, maybe) but as soon as I can afford it I'll be ordering one of these, so long as his UK stockists carry it.
tumblr_pm0mm8FPx81w9drs0o1_500.png

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yup, very possibly. Good quality stuff, if my little apple is any indication, & openly honest about fills & other blemishes. Like Savs or Nordings, I can't recall anybody *ever* saying anything bad about Boneses.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Like Savs or Nordings, I can't recall anybody *ever* saying anything bad about Boneses.
I was watching one chap review the Morgan One - a tiny, stemless pipe (see pic). One of this guy's things seems to be that he feeds a thermometer down the shank while he smokes it, so that viewers can watch the rise and fall of the temperature in real time, and he was saying that much longer gaps between draws would have to be taken if you wanted to avoid a serious tongue-singeing.
s111858842377877855_p102_i3_w640.jpeg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Interesting.
Over a year ago, I too bought a thermometer with a probe to measure the temperatures when drawing and, most importantly, lighting up. You can imagine the serious tongue bite problems I was having when I chose to spend the price of a nice pipe on a thermometer.
I was afraid of the puffed smoke having a temperature in the hundred(s) of degrees (Celsius) range, but looking at this bloke and his thermometer, the smoke ain't really hot: ~40 °C is a lower temperature than that of freshly poured coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.