PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I’m a lifelong Cubs fan. And I’m talking, like, a real one. I watch basically every game. I’ve endured the last place seasons. Many of them.

I don’t blame Bartman. I blame Gonzalez for not turning the double play to get us out of “that” inning.

I often think about Bryant smiling on that ground ball as he fielded it threw it to Rizzo for the final out, making history.

I still smile when I remember how Michael Barrett beat the snot out of AJ Pierzynski on the South Side.

I still don’t understand why Piniella took Zambrano in the 5th inning at around 70 pitches.

My all-time fave squad was the ‘89 team. I insisted on playing whatever Little League position with my Shawon Dunston glove.

I could go on.

I’m sitting here smoking MM965, watching the Cubs game from earlier today. We’re up 6-3 in the bottom of the 7th. And I’m nervous. The bad guys have no outs and 2 on.

There’s not two things that go better together than baseball and a pipe.

Eamus Catuli
As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I appreciate the loyalty of Cubbie fans. I go back to the Wrigley Field days of Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, Don Kessinger, Glen Beckert, etc. We made an annual pilgrimage from St Louis to Wrigley once a season, and only Cub and Redbird followers remember how great that rivalry was.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I too hate the DH in the NL. And nobody wants the robot umps. Just today I was looking at my set of 2016 World Series Cubs pint glasses and lamenting the Indians name change. Smh. I do hope baseball can survive all this nonsense.
I was a huge Tribe fan until this. Bob Feller is rolling in his grave with this silly spectacle. I put up with the strikes, even the taking Chief Wahoo off the uniform, but the name change has caused all of baseball to (in my mind at least) to be grouped in with all the other "sportsball". Bah Humbug

I am glad the cubbies finally won though, even if it was over the tribe..... that was a good series, and the only team that I was not mad about us losing to.

Reactions: dctune

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Not to get too political, but all this so-called correctness in the name of sensitvity? Yet, professional tennis player Naomi Osaka is given much grief for reacting as a traditional Japanese woman? Sorry for those who don't understand.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For those with minor league teams near by, I strongly recommend catching a game (even if you have a little kid).

They typically put on a good "show" aside from the game. The game features hungry young talent or older journeyman. The show features crowd participation, typically with hotdog eating contests, shirt cannons, and other fun games.

Tickets are amazingly priced and you don't feel bad about leaving early with a cranky wife or kid.

They even have theme days, like princess and pirates or superheroes.

Well worth the money and experience in my book.

dctune

For those with minor league teams near by, I strongly recommend catching a game (even if you have a little kid).

They typically put on a good "show" aside from the game. The game features hungry young talent or older journeyman. The show features crowd participation, typically with hotdog eating contests, shirt cannons, and other fun games.

Tickets are amazingly priced and you don't feel bad about leaving early with a cranky wife or kid.

Agreed. And I’ve just recently learned about a professional summer team for collegiate ball players named the Savannah Bananas. Looks like loads of fun if you can get tix. If you’ve never heard of them, they’re basically the Harlem Globetrotters of baseball.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA

Right on. When I lived in the Tulsa area, I could take the kids to a Drillers game, sit and watch the game for a few innings, eat some hotdogs, and then head out to the splash pad behind the batter’s eye in centerfield. The kids had a blast and I got to watch the Dodgers AA talent. Win, win. And if a local business was sponsoring the game, tickets were next to nothing.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I love to sit and watch (or listen to) a baseball game while smoking my pipe. I understand that it's become fashionable to hate on professional sports these days but I can't get with that. I love the game. I love the cadence of the game. I love how long the season is. I love that their are games practically every day during the season. I love the stats and the advancement of sabermetrics when evaluating a player, but I also love the "eye test". I love the history of baseball and I also love the game as it is today (minus Angel Hernandez).

The only things I hate about baseball are rainouts and the Yankees.