PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

M

Magnum207

Briar experts,

I have a BARLING’s Make, Ye Olde Wood, T.V.F. Pipe. On the bottom of the smooth-finish bowl, there is an obvious black spot which would suggest the bowl has a “burned-out.” I removed the cake, down to the bare wood. In doing so, it appears there is no obvious “burn” on the inside of the bowl to mirror the outside. No charring, whatsoever. Any observations, thoughts, or comments? 882EC3A7-8454-4D80-B8C9-7200994F4E78.jpegDD07E05C-387B-46DE-B263-8DB012740E6E.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Regardless of cause, I'd be very careful smoking it until you can re-cake the bottom of the chamber. I'd consider putting some pipe mud in the heel.

Reactions: Briar Lee
M

Magnum207

I had gotten the pipe with a couple other estates in a pipe rack. I hadn’t even thought of another source burning it. That makes complete sense.
As you can see, I attempted to lightly sand that spot to determine if it could be removed, however, maybe I was too gentle. It’s a very nice, old pipe, but definitely not a show piece. Either the stem is a replacement or it’s previous owner buffed the marque off it.
I will probably leave it “as-is,” take jpmcwjr’s advice and slap mud on the heel and then smoke the bejesus out of it! Thank you all for your responses!!!

M

Magnum207

Definitely an ashtray burn. Best leave it, or try to reduce the blackening with some fresh coffee grind.
It is an acid . Sometimes works to remove rim darkening. Looks to be a fine Barling's pipe, congrats !
Some pipe mud on the heel is a well advised for sure.
Thank you, sir! I’ll leave it alone and use it.