PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fiver5

Lurker
Sep 6, 2021
Hey all, I have a couple of Barling's I'm hoping someone here might help identify which era they might be from. For the sake of aiding in conversation 1) is a saddle stem and 2) a tapered stem.

1) the saddle stem, it is marked "Barling's", with the apostrophe s ('s), which is arched over the word "make".
On the opposite side of the shank it says "Made in London", over "England". Beside that it's marked "EL". I think it's a pot and is in overall nice shape.

2) tapered stem, it is also marked "Barling's" arched over "make", but under that is marked "ye old wood", and under that "straight grain". On the opposite side of the shank it is also marked "Made in London" over "England". No other markings of any kind anywhere.
This one is an a little rougher shape, particularly the chamber, it looks like someone chiseled out the cake and left some deep grooves running top to bottom, I have no idea what they might have used to do this with. The chamber is no longer round, I'm concerned that if I expand it to make it round it will leave the walls dangerously thin. Build it back up to smooth and round with pipe mud maybe?
Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
20211003_190244.jpg20211003_190344.jpg20211003_190359.jpg20211003_190453.jpg20211003_190531.jpg20211003_190624.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting. The "Made In London" over "England" stamp was used in the late '30's for the most part though it's also turned up in the late '40's. So that roughly the period for these pipes. Check the underside of the stem for a stamping of a REG'd number. If there is one that you can make out, please post it. That could tighten the dating.
The straight grain won't have a model stamp.
Evidently the former owner used a rabid beaver to trim the cake. Don't try to make the chamber round. Not enough meat on the walls. Pipe mud is a thought. There's also pipe cement.

Fiver5

Lurker
Sep 6, 2021
Interesting. The "Made In London" over "England" stamp was used in the late '30's for the most part though it's also turned up in the late '40's. So that roughly the period for these pipes. Check the underside of the stem for a stamping of a REG'd number. If there is one that you can make out, please post it. That could tighten the dating.
The straight grain won't have a model stamp.
Evidently the former owner used a rabid beaver to trim the cake. Don't try to make the chamber round. Not enough meat on the walls. Pipe mud is a thought. There's also pipe cement.
Awesome! Thank you so much!
I used my 15 year old's eyes to look at the stems, the tapered has no visible markings (although I haven't polished yet, something might be more visible with a little cleaning), the saddle stem he has read (although not 100 certain) number 428968.
Thanks again.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Awesome! Thank you so much!
I used my 15 year old's eyes to look at the stems, the tapered has no visible markings (although I haven't polished yet, something might be more visible with a little cleaning), the saddle stem he has read (although not 100 certain) number 428968.
Thanks again.
That number is consistent with the time frame I mentioned.

Reactions: Toast and Fiver5