PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I think this is an old one, perhaps Jesse could let me know his thoughts.

18614208-orig.jpg

18614210-orig.jpg

There are definitely a few battle scars, this was a very well loved pipe by it's former owner.

18614211-orig.jpg

The shank and stem are squared on three sides yet rounded on the top, very cool!

18614214-orig.jpg

18614213-orig.jpg

18614212-orig.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
ok.. maybe you or someone can answer this. WTF does quaint mean in relation to a pipe?
you have Dunhill and Barling quaints.. wtf is it? one-off shapes?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Definitely a factory thing.

btw, "Quaint" for Dunhill meant one-off, unusual shapes. For Barling it was that distinctive, parallel-grooves finish.

Same word, different meaning.
Thank you. I had been wondering this especially when I saw a traditional looking Dunhill shape called a “quaint”. At first I thought it meant they were small. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Beautiful Quaint! I'd estimate it to be late '40's to early "50's based on the visible nomenclature.

Barling quaints differ from Dunhill in several respects. Quaints began as a standard shape. If, in the course of shaping a bowl, a flaw showed up that precluded creating a flawless smooth, the decision would be made to either chuck it in the furnace, sandblast it, or recarve it as a Quaint. The decision to recarve was based on the wood grain being too superior to lose to either the furnace or to sandblasting.
The pipe would be reshaped with panels, sometimes fluted panels, and areas of fine rustication, sometimes referred to as "chicken scratches".

In the case of this particular quaint, the shank was also customized. I own a meer linei quaint with a similar shank design.

The best known of the several master carvers carvers who were assigned to make quaints was Horry Jameson, who went on to establish the GBD Uniques.

In the 1920's there was a precursor to the quaints, pipes that were stamped FREAK, also carved by Jameson.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Beautiful Quaint! I'd estimate it to be late '40's to early "50's based on the visible nomenclature.

Barling quaints differ from Dunhill in several respects. Quaints began as a standard shape. If, in the course of shaping a bowl, a flaw showed up that precluded creating a flawless smooth, the decision would be made to either chuck it in the furnace, sandblast it, or recarve it as a Quaint. The decision to recarve was based on the wood grain being too superior to lose to either the furnace or to sandblasting.
The pipe would be reshaped with panels, sometimes fluted panels, and areas of fine rustication, sometimes referred to as "chicken scratches".

In the case of this particular quaint, the shank was also customized. I own a meer linei quaint with a similar shank design.

The best known of the several master carvers carvers who were assigned to make quaints was Horry Jameson, who went on to establish the GBD Uniques.

In the 1920's there was a precursor to the quaints, pipes that were stamped FREAK, also carved by Jameson.
As always, thank you Sir for sharing your wealth of information.
It is very much appreciated!

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Its amazing the detail those carvers put into those pipes. Perhaps they saw it as a challenge to save another wise flawed piece of briar, and while they were at it, they might was well go whole hog.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice workmanship, just not a fan of Barling Quaints. For me, it's a bit like a house that has too many different materials/styles on the facade.

On the other hand, I bet some of us might be seen as quaint as we trudge along, pipe in mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.