PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I recently received the coupons for 1 Captain Black pouch (any variety) for $1 and 1 Borkum Riff pouch for $1.
Excited to give these a try, I visited the Barclay Rex store in NYC (down by Wall Stree) and was immediately told they wouldn't honor the coupon, with reason being because they don't participate in whatever promotion the coupon is a part of and that they wouldn't get reimbursed.
I got more the impression that it was summarily denied because they didn't want to bother, I'd have put a bigger fuss but this was coming from the employee with his manager standing and nodding nearby so the reality of how futile any further effort would be kicked-in and I left.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
namuna:
I'd think Barclay-Rex would be overkill for these OTC blends. You could probably walk into any Duane Reade and find these blends on the shelf.
Bob

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'd think Barclay-Rex would be overkill for these OTC blends. You could probably walk into any Duane Reade and find these blends on the shelf.
Indeed. No need to hit BR for an OTC, and no surprise that they didn't want to deal with it.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I'm confused, they're a tobacco shop, why is it no surprise that they wouldn't accept a tobacco coupon?
In any case, thanks for the heads-up on trying Duane Reade, I'll give that a shot.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Weeeee, sucks to be me today! I'm score'n 0 for 3 today! Went to 2 Duane Reades near BR and neither of them carry pipe tobacco.
I'll just have to make a run to the local CVS by my home, at least I'm fairly certain they've got Captain Black stuff.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
At my retail store we have had problems getting reimbursed with coupons like this. Typically large companies/manufacturers have a 3rd party company that issues the coupons and reimbursement process. We have been burned many times in the past. Because it is a 3rd party company it doesn't do us any good to complain directly to the manufacturer because they claim they don't have anything to do with it. After a couple of times it's not worth messing with any more.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
A good salesman, though, would have talked to you about your tastes and steered you toward a complimentary blend at a reasonable price. I agree with you that the service was lacking in this instance, namuna; I'd give Barclay a mulligan on this one and get to know the guys who work there--might open up new discoveries for you and a friendly discount, no need for a coupon.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I would do the same if I was running BR and was not a participant in the promotion. You see that with fast food chain restaurants all the time. And I totally agree with romeowood's thoughts above.
Pipestud

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I've never had a B&M honor a pipe tobacco coupon, tried a few times and gave up. Coworker said it got harder even for her cig coupons lately.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the tobacco companies issuing the coupons haven't been prompt and friendly about reimbursing

the coupons. I had success with an earlier coupon, though I had to prompt the salesperson that the

coupon wasn't a dollar off, it was the whole pouch for a dollar. Whether they would do this a second time,

with two coupons, I don't know. Tinder Box doesn't sell the OTC brands, and neither does my local

independent. In my area, you can't buy pipe tobacco at groceries, drugstores, nor Walmart. They just

don't stock it, though they sell cigarettes, cheap cigars, and chewing tobacco. I think it just doesn't move.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I got those coupons myself and round-filed them. I think romeowood is probably right - I'll bet they have comparable, but better quality, blends for a competitive price.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thank you for the clarifications...That's just brazenly shitty and rather short-sightedly stupid of the manufacturer to play games with the resellers when it comes to reimbursement of coupons like that!
In the long run the people you send out the coupons to will end up being frustrated and disappointed in not being able to use the coupons...Not exactly the best way of getting people to try your products, and not the best way of building consumer trust either.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Coupons are a pain. Even if you are established, it adds another layer to the billing chain, and the retailer is essentially accepting a check that they may not get paid on for two or three months.
Not to say Brex played it well, there was certainly room for improvement on their response, but I cannot blame them really.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
All's well, went to a CVS today and was able to use both coupons (Captain Black and Borkum Riff).

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Why not just purchase a tin of "Balkan Sasieni" at Nat Sherman on 42nd for $14.00? Maybe you just like the sweet cavendish tobacco.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I went to Barclay Rex on a visit to NYC this past September and found a nice selection of pipes and tobacco. I picked up a tin of Dunbar and am waiting on trying it. I did notice that the person working behind the counter was not the most outgoing person I have ever encountered working at a tobacconist, but wasn't an arse either. They had a nice brebbia sandblast squat apple pipe there that I was eyeing, and may check to see if it is still there when I go back.
I went to Nat Sherman and have to say that the staff there were much friendlier, and actually started conversation. I picked up a Savinelli tamper and my wife picked up a Nat Sherman cigar.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Briarfanatic, out of the three tobacconist shops that I know in NYC, Nat Sherman is most welcoming and knowledgeable. Indeed, I have heard people say, and others review that Nat Sherman has a bias against people who are not necessarily "dressed appropriately". However, that is not necessarily true because I have smoked my pipe there plenty of times without being observed. Nonetheless, the atmosphere is tobacconist friendly and even has cozy arm chairs to sit and enjoy your pipe. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.