PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I'm a DIY type in general, but I have to admit that I've never, not even once, considered being my own barber.

To me, going to the barber can be very relaxing and enjoyable. I find that men will let you sit there and rest, be quiet, and sometimes even doze off. But women want to chat, which ruins it for me.

Reactions: JOHN72

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I’ve been fortunate enough to live in cities with actual barber shops. I’ve tried several chain places & a salon or 2 just to get the hair out of my eyes. They just weren’t for me.
Yes, the shops I’ve been to charge $30-40+ tip for a haircut & beard trim, but I’m 100% satisfied when I leave. Plus a beer or shot of whiskey while I’m getting cleaned up. Some still do a hot shave with an actual straight razor too!

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I cut my own as well. Fading the back of my head is the toughest part, but I figured it out well enough years ago. I could get a better cut, but only marginally. Not worth the money to me.

I'm the same. Been cutting my own hair over twenty years. Fading is difficult.
I'm not convinced I can do a better job than a barber. But its free, and I'm already married.
Must have saved a fortune.
I also cut one son's hair and my father in laws hair.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'm a DIY type in general, but I have to admit that I've never, not even once, considered being my own barber.

To me, going to the barber can be very relaxing and enjoyable. I find that men will let you sit there and rest, be quiet, and sometimes even doze off. But women want to chat, which ruins it for me.
I have found the exact opposite and only have women cut my hair now. They pay attention and make it look good. The male barbers around here only know one style of cut and everyone looks the same. They talk incessantly and don't pay attention and I have had to point out they "missed" areas and its uneven. I am loyal to those who do a good job. My Dad's barber would stand behind him for ten minutes clicking the scissors pretending to cut his hair and then charge him $40. He stopped going there when I told him what I saw and switched to my lady barber and was much happier ... especially at half the price. He also liked the extra attention.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I go to a single chair old school barber every six weeks. No appointment needed. Shaves the back of the neck, clips ear hairs and trims eyebrows. $16...$15 for seniors. I've been going to Jim for over 5 years now. I buy Clubman's Jeris Hair Tonic from him too.
1703705006797.png
It's cheaper on Amazon, but I'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks and support a small business.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Barbershop 💈 requirements for me are.
1. Men only
2. Expert with a Straight Razor
3. Old school shop environment
4. Barber Pole or resemblance of
5. Well versed in Tobacco, Hunting,
Fishing and Military Service.

Im fortunate that my barber of 33 years retired and cuts mine at his house 5 miles away and we shoot the shit. He ran a high end shop from 1953-2003 and at 91 yrs old
He’s still as good as he was in 1953

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have found the exact opposite and only have women cut my hair now. They pay attention and make it look good. The male barbers around here only know one style of cut and everyone looks the same. They talk incessantly and don't pay attention and I have had to point out they "missed" areas and its uneven. I am loyal to those who do a good job. My Dad's barber would stand behind him for ten minutes clicking the scissors pretending to cut his hair and then charge him $40. He stopped going there when I told him what I saw and switched to my lady barber and was much happier ... especially at half the price. He also liked the extra attention.
That's been my experience. It's like walking into a junior high school environment. The ladies were always focused on the perfect cut.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do you go to a legit barber shop or one of the chop-shops like Pro Cuts, et al? Do you think it's worth the extra money?
I have a barber shop, single chair. Over the past couple of decades he, my barber, and I have become warm, friends.

He has sign in his shop.

Fast haircut - not so good
Cheap haircut - not that fast
Good hair cut - not cheap, not fast
Customer's choice.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
My wife actually went to cosmetology school back in the day and has a license, but she hates cutting hair and it's always a hassle to try and get it done at home. I want a haircut when I want one, and she wants to cut it when she wants to cut it. Those are never the same times.
🥳

She told me they train the ladies in the schools to chat it up, ask about your kids, where they go to school, etc. to be more personal. I have found that the same ladies will ask me the very same questions three or four weeks later. They aren't listening but just want to come off as nice and accommodating. I get it, and there are certainly worse things in life. I just like to get in the chair and sit quietly. It seems to me that the real people-skill would be to figure out who you have in the chair: does he want to chat or sit quiet, etc.?

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I take my youngest to the barber shop. The shop is pretty interesting with lots of old signage and advertisements but it’s pretty expensive. I used to do all the haircutting in my family but the kids stopped sitting well for me and I went bald so I just razor shave my head once a week now.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Egg Shen

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I get a haircut from a legit old school barber shop. Including tip it’s $40 once a month.

Haircut is $16 and a shave is $16

That’s the menu.
Same here, although, my experience is all past tense. I used to only frequent a true Italian ole school 💈 barber (back when i had hair). I used to love my $8 + 5 beard/moustache trim + tip) haircuts. I heard since covid you cannot find a ole school barber under $30 for just a haircut in any major city now 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: JOHN72 and scloyd

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Long gone is the 90 year old barber stropping his straight razor then shaving a balloon to demonstrate a no burred edge.

Or the two fellas that had Sinatra’s Rat Pack memorabilia and Frank crooning away. A great place to read the newspaper while you await the chair.

These days I cut it myself. Clipper settings down to a science. It’s a piece of cake cutting my hair.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Something I've been considering doing in the coming year is finding a good barber shop to patronize. I've been going to a local Pro Cuts for a few years, and while it usually works out ok, I end up getting a pretty bad haircut a few times a year. Get what you pay for, etc.

I can get out of Pro Cuts for $21 with a pretty generous tip. Some of the hipster all-male barbers shops around here are $30-$40 for just the haircut; then you tip on top of that! That's a whopper of a monthly bill for me! Have to admit, though: getting the hot towels and first-class treatment in those kind of shops is great.

I also think it would be kind of cool to form an actual relationship with a local barber, someone that knows my name, vice versa, etc. At the Pro Cuts it's revolving door of Vietnamese women and a very impersonal thing.

Do you go to a legit barber shop or one of the chop-shops like Pro Cuts, et al? Do you think it's worth the extra money?
I go to a hair salon that has been in the same place for 50 years.