PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Someone was deleting some of my contributions, again with no reply (was it another user?)
No. Unless things have changed, only a moderator or the admin can do that. There was a period, some years ago, after a change of ownership, when the controls and oversight were "loose" and of course, chaos reigned.

Last I heard about the staffing situation at TR, it was minimal, which may be why you received no response. Or someone thought you offensive and decided not to respond.

At least they updated the contact. For the longest time it was an email to a past admin who hadn't been with TR for years.

Welcome to the forum.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Streeper541: I understand your perspective, as my first post could lead you to perceive that I am an angry and aggressive person. It is interesting that you are insinuating that it is me who is going to cause problems here, while simultaneously casting the first stone. Please let me make more than one post before you start doing that.
Interesting that you see his response as accusatory. It was a solid observation and one reinforced by the fact that you posted without inteoducing yourself first in the introduction thread as prescribed by the protocols of this site. Do you see where this could go.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
No. Unless things have changed, only a moderator or the admin can do that. There was a period, some years ago, after a change of ownership, when the controls and oversight were "loose" and of course, chaos reigned.

Last I heard about the staffing situation at TR, it was minimal, which may be why you received no response. Or someone thought you offensive and decided not to respond.

At least they updated the contact. For the longest time it was an email to a past admin who hadn't been with TR for years.

Welcome to the forum.
It was only the descriptions and historical notes that were deleted, and some of the pictures I uploaded. I found that I could delete them myself by editing, saving, logging out, and viewing. It seems like a recipe for... someone like me to come along and mess it all up I guess.

I thank you all for your replies. Most of you are right, and I do have a personality that gets hung up on being technically correct. In my line of work, being technically correct is ALWAYS the right thing. I've been in aviation for almost 20 years, but the way of thinking doesn't translate to everywhere else very smoothly.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm sorry to inform you, but as much as you think your opinion matters it really doesn't. TR doesn't know you from Jack and you are rocking the boat. Why would they care? If you have been around for 40 years and provided over 3,000 reviews and people consider you as an important resource, they might. Newbie with 40 review making changes all over their site? You do not have that entitlement. You had privilege to send in an input, but now that's been taken away. Learn to play with others.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
In my line of work, being technically correct is ALWAYS the right thing.

Work and play are different aspects of life and have different rules. I don’t treat my wife and kids like they were my employees. For one thing it would be grossly inappropriate, for another it would have a deleterious effect on my wellbeing.

More generally speaking would you visit someone else’s house and start rearranging the furniture? It doesn’t matter where the impulse comes from or what the pretext is it’s just bad behavior.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
HawkeyeLinus: Over the course of these happenings I reviewed over 40 blends. I agree that they can categorize however they want, but if that was the case they could have responded to my first, second, or third message with “this is just the way we do it here” and that would be fine.
What makes you believe you were entitled to an answer? Or, perhaps they were busy or understaffed. It's not like it's a high paying position. Chill. There are battles worth fighting but most really aren't.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It was only the descriptions and historical notes that were deleted, and some of the pictures I uploaded. I found that I could delete them myself by editing, saving, logging out, and viewing. It seems like a recipe for... someone like me to come along and mess it all up I guess.

I thank you all for your replies. Most of you are right, and I do have a personality that gets hung up on being technically correct. In my line of work, being technically correct is ALWAYS the right thing. I've been in aviation for almost 20 years, but the way of thinking doesn't translate to everywhere else very smoothly.
I can empathize. In my work, though it is artistic and creative, there is a technical aspect to my position where things have to be technical spec correct or there will be chaos, costly chaos. I'm the son of an engineer and I have the same instincts.

But, I was hired to make those decisions, create and maintain the pipeline, and get the show done. So, when I revamped the show's color department, changed procedures and staff, nobody had an issue, especially after they saw the results.

There are situations where imposing standards is correct, like when one is invited to do that, and other situations where imposing standards is not correct and however well intentioned, is simply laying down asphalt on the road to hell.

• Love
Reactions: shermnatman

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I get what you’re saying, @WhiteCrown. If it was me I would assume you were trying to be helpful and then message you that the way it was done was for a reason. But not everyone sees it that way and I guess you just move on from TR and post some reviews here; I’m sure there are folks here who would enjoy and appreciate them.

Reactions: Browny

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Work and play are different aspects of life and have different rules. I don’t treat my wife and kids like they were my employees. For one thing it would be grossly inappropriate, for another it would have a deleterious effect on my wellbeing.

More generally speaking would you visit someone else’s house and start rearranging the furniture? It doesn’t matter where the impulse comes from or what the pretext is it’s just bad behavior.
Very true, but I thought I was in somebody's house and another stranger was rearranging the furniture, I was only trying to put it back. This happened over the course of a week or two, at first it was only the three, but after so long with no reply, I started to notice it with other tobaccos, and eventually I "fixed" it. I thought nobody was home. oops.

I wasn't fighting a "battle" like some think, though I know it sounds like it. I moved a few tobaccos a couple times, then one day sat down with a cup of tea and started researching and "fixing". And along the way I had sent a few messages. Researching things is almost a hobby of mine. Maybe it seemed to them that I was "fighting" them.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
lol puffy

See, that's what I'm saying, I thought is was another user. Anyone can modify anything, and there were several tobaccos that moved after these ones that I had nothing to do with. There were no moderators replying for almost two weeks and it looked like they were screwing up the whole site.

If that was the last ditch that got me banned, why is it still there?

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
After I changed it the first time after someone deleted the descriptions and pictures I added, another user added the beginning of that note "originally made by STG, Sutliff tobacco now produces the blend", and they changed the brand from STG to Sutliff. It seems like a free-for-all on that site, because somebody else changed it back to STG

Edit: also just noticed someone deleted the description again as well as the picture. Why would a moderator do that? Anyone can do that, I checked.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
After I changed it the first time after someone deleted the descriptions and pictures I added, another user added the beginning of that note "originally made by STG, Sutliff tobacco now produces the blend", and they changed the brand from STG to Sutliff. It seems like a free-for-all on that site, because somebody else changed it back to STG

Edit: also just noticed someone deleted the description again as well as the picture. Why would a moderator do that? Anyone can do that, I checked.
Do you know who owns TR? I’m not even going to give you a hint.
You sound like a fun guy to rob a bank with.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
If that was the last ditch that got me banned, why is it still there?
As an illustrated example and Word-of-Warning of what not to do, being for the benefit of others who may be similarly inclined to follow suit.

Boxing_Betas.jpeg
The Battle between The Technically Correct Kid VERSUS The TR Moderator rages on...

- Sherm "Ringside" Natman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.