PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm seein' a lot of pipes with bamboo stems these days. They look pretty cool, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any issues related to functionality or longevity?

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have three pipes with bamboo stems....a Stanwell, a Tsuge and a Pietenpauw....they have been fine for me....light weight and no problems. They haven't been in my possession for "years" as yet so I cannot attest to the longevity.... :D

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Its been my experience that over time wooden stems absorb certain smells that never go away! Might be fine if the pipe is dedicated to one blend.....Hmmmm...never thought of that til now!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've a pair of Bamboo Meerschaum Pipes that have been smoking well for

a few years. I clean them after every smoke with Everclear and have had

no issues with resident ghosts of any kind. I do put a small amount of

flute oil on the Bamboo 1-2 times a year to keep the wood from drying out.

These Bamboo shanks do not have any metal tubes in them and yes they do

color a bit with use. I do not hesitate to recommend having a Bamboo or

two around.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
They work fine for me, I've used them as stems on some pipes I made. I guess it helps that there is a lot of bamboo right around the corner, on my way to the river. I coould cut you some and send it to you so you can cut it and have some replacements on hand drying out. :puffy:

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I LOVE bamboo stems. You can prevent ghosting, but you can also season them carefully.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Seen quite a few pipes with these stems too and gotta say i love the look of em. Great to hear they smoke well too. Might add one to my ever expanding PAD list

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i have one bomboo stem,old, smoke all the time, great smoker. see my pic.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Me too. They always look like some kind of randomly stuck on piece of wood on an otherwise nice pipe. Horn or lucite would look better, IMO.
I'm more of a traditionalist in that respect.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I should add that I feel the same way about gold/silver bands too.
This way bamboo won't feel slighted and singled out. :lol:

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
yep, them gold and silver bands do taste a little different,helps if you keepum polished.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am also in the boat with you fellows who think bamboo looks "off" on a pipe... Although I did just buy one from Strongirish, I wanted to be able to comment on how they smoke not just on the fact that they are not appealing to me. I must admit that the smoke was very pleasant, of course that could have been the Briar doing all the work!

Status
Not open for further replies.