PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I'd like to make a pipe with a bamboo shank but I'm concerned about what I read about bamboo.
I read an article a while back on line that said bamboo has a very delicate and thin outer skin. The article said that once this outer skin is sanded through the piece of bamboo is basically now worthless.
If this is the case how in the world does a person create that perfect transitional fit between the stem and shank adornment and the bamboo shank without touching the bamboo with sandpaper or files. My gosh I can't imagine anyone has that kind of dextarity where they can create a perfectly smooth transition from stem to bamboo without coming in contact with the bamboo with sandpaper or files.
Thanks,
Harkpuff

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I too read an article a while back that discussed that exact dilemma.

The pipe maker said that you only get one shot at it.

One mistake and that's it.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
My "guess" is that the hank is matched to the bamboo. I once spoke to Cornelius Maenz about this and while he didn't directly say that, he did say the bamboo is chosen an then the pipe is formed accordingly.
Also, do they not seal the bamboo? I thought I read something to that affect?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I would think that the bamboo gets sealed. Otherwise I would think that the skin would be compromised after a year or so of regular use no?

Status
Not open for further replies.