PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think why they're popular with high grade pipe makers is that it allows them to use stunning pieces of briar that otherwise couldn't be used due to ugly or even defective areas that would be in the shank. I don't love the look myself but I find them often tastefully done.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
I've had a couple over the past several decades. Honestly, I can't identify any special smoking properties of bamboo vs regular shank briar pipes.

I once had this Bari Pearl. I rather liked it but obviously not enough to keep me from parting with it.

1719933109831.png

This is the bell ringer for me:

1719933198895.png

It's the Nording Hunting Pipe from 1998; a shape called "The Beaver." This one punches my buttons. A great stem/bit combination, a shape that fits the hand like a glove with a normal sized bowl good for a quick smoke or a moderate one. The packaging of Hunting series pipes is pretty awesome: a printed pasteboard tube with plastic ends, stuffed with a poster showing design sketches of the pipe and the critter that inspired the shape. Then, of course, the pipe in a leather sock.

I once had quite a few of the series, but I've given up all but this and the '99 Quail.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I've had a couple over the past several decades. Honestly, I can't identify any special smoking properties of bamboo vs regular shank briar pipes.

I once had this Bari Pearl. I rather liked it but obviously not enough to keep me from parting with it.

View attachment 321347

This is the bell ringer for me:

View attachment 321349

It's the Nording Hunting Pipe from 1998; a shape called "The Beaver." This one punches my buttons. A great stem/bit combination, a shape that fits the hand like a glove with a normal sized bowl good for a quick smoke or a moderate one. The packaging of Hunting series pipes is pretty awesome: a printed pasteboard tube with plastic ends, stuffed with a poster showing design sketches of the pipe and the critter that inspired the shape. Then, of course, the pipe in a leather sock.

I once had quite a few of the series, but I've given up all but this and the '99 Quail.
Wow! That Nording hunting pipe makes we want to go hunting and enjoy a bowl afterwards back on the pickup tailgate.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Bamboo is highly water absorbent, able to take up three times its weight in water. In bamboo fabric, this translates to an excellent wicking ability that will pull moisture away from the skin so that it can evaporate. For this reason, clothing made of bamboo fiber is often worn next to the skin.

Bamboo is a VERY lightweight material and it is often surprising how much weight is removed from a pipe by having the briar shank very short, and then a bamboo extension. If you are a fan of clenching a pipe in your teeth, I think you would become a fan of bamboo after you find out how light bamboo pipes can be.