New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I got 60 Gasparini 9mm balsa filters (3 packs x 20) from Amazon for $15.99 and 120 6mm balsa filters (3 packs x 40) for $16.99. They took awhile to get here; I think they ultimately came from China. Smoking Pipes has 9mm and 6mm charcoal filters by Savinelli. I don't always use filters, as I find they restrict the draw too much, but it's nice to have then on hand if I choose to use them. I believe Amazon still has the Gasparini filters in stock.

I've also used the spiral aluminum 9mm Tsuge Kulu filters a couple of times. I'm not sure if the spiral lengthens the smoke path for a cooler smoke, or acts as a condenser; I need to experiment with them more (draw is not restricted, which is nice).

IMG_20211231_200726.jpg

IMG_20211231_201442.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I got 60 Gasparini 9mm balsa filters (3 packs x 20) from Amazon for $15.99 and 120 6mm balsa filters (3 packs x 40) for $16.99. They took awhile to get here; I think they ultimately came from China. Smoking Pipes has 9mm and 6mm charcoal filters by Savinelli. I don't always use filters, as I find they restrict the draw too much, but it's nice to have then on hand if I choose to use them. I believe Amazon still has the Gasparini filters in stock.

I've also used the spiral aluminum 9mm Tsuge Kulu filters a couple of times. I'm not sure if the spiral lengthens the smoke path for a cooler smoke, or acts as a condenser; I need to experiment with them more (draw is not restricted, which is nice).

View attachment 118314

View attachment 118313
Yep, still in stock. I might have to get on this next week. How long did they take to arrive?

Thanks for the tip! ?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Okay, that I can deal with. Certainly a walk in the park compared to sitting on my keester, waiting for the bureaucracy keeping these supplies floating on the ocean to fix its computer glitch. I do have a 6mm adapter; I should probably snag a 9mm as well, while I still can. Who knows what's next to get banished to the Great Floating Assortment of Thingamajigs? :rolleyes:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Would / could cork from a wine bottle be made to work as a filter?
I actually have read accounts of people trying that on a commercial level with pipes and cigarettes and finding the results terrible. Though stupidly that attempt is why cigarettes have that fake cork paper on the filter part. Seriously life can be incredibly stupid when people get involved with it.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Below is a post I put up some time ago.

I have several Savinelli filter pipes I use to smoke an occasional aromatic. Here's how to save money on the filters. Instead of buying the actual filters. I go on ebay and buy a pack of balsa wood rods in the right size (3/16x1/8"). I cut them to length and that's it. Cost is about 10% the cost of filters and they work just as well. A tip: if you cut the ends on a slight angle the pipe draws better.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I had the same issue with a Savinelli pipe that was gifted to me for Christmas. It's a sign of the times.

Some grocery stores still limit certain items in the Detroit area and a carton of eggs is now around $2.50. Sometimes it is difficult to find certain food staples, like cuts of poultry or meat and I had the hardest time finding canned mushrooms last month.
Title edited: capitalize important words. -jpm

So I recently received a Savinelli Regimental 624 KS, which takes a 6mm filter. In the past, a package of 20 or so extra filters would be included in the box. This time there were no filters, instead, this note was substituted: "Almost all balsa wood used commercially in the world comes from Ecuador. Due to the global pandemic in 2020, we were temporarily unable to source the balsa lumber in order to manufacture the signature Savinelli balsa filters. ...." They did include an adapter.

Some online retailers have these filters in stock, some like Smoking Pipes are out of stock. Now I typically don't use these filters but did find it interesting that the pandemic affected the global supply of something as mundane as balsa pipe filters.

There’s a bottleneck at the supply source. If that’s affected, we’re all affected; that’s the effect of a bottleneck. Hopefully they can effect a solution