PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
What are the differences among these blends?
By the way, what's your favorite Balkan/Oriental/Turkish blend?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Oriental and Turkish are types of tobacco, not blends. Balken is a type of blend. This is a good website for pipe information, its basically wikipedia for pipes http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Oriental and Turkish are types of tobacco...

Turkish is also a bath... probably more relaxing than tobacco.

bagnoturco.jpg

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Turkish is also a taffy-style candy, and is a lot more fattening than a bowl of your favorite blend. But the banana flavor is almost worth gaining weight for,

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I finally got around to reading about the different ... leaves? strains? whatever it is you call a different type of tobacco.
Thanks for the link :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Oriental and Turkish are types of tobacco, not blends
Not completely true - although I have never heard any one refer to a Turkish blend, a blend may be referred to as an Oriental blend when it has Oriental tobaccos but very little or no latakia. I just had some African Queen, an Altadis bulk that I would consider an Oriental. Decent blend, lots of ncie flavors, but no latakia.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I like the Turkish bath photo Philip! Very nice!
I don't want to be all cranky again like I was in the thread where PM got zero credit for being the one that discovered the mystery behind Orlik Golden slices having Perique instead of Burley ... but ...
Pipedia is a very nice site, but aside from these wonderful forums, guess what? We actually have the most extraordinary content produced exclusively for pipe smokers right here.
Please allow me to point you to these three expertly crafted articles that pertain to the original question posted above.
What is a Balkan Blend?
The Mystery of Balkan Blends
English Blends and Latakia Blends - One and the Same?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Oriental and Turkish are types of tobacco, not blends. Balken is a type of blend. This is a good website for pipe information, its basically wikipedia for pipes http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Don't tell McClelland that oriental isn't a blend, they'll have to take all those pretty green labels off.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Oooh, I found McClelland's loose "Oriental" over here and absolutely loved it! At $10 for 10g it's as dear as poison!

Status
Not open for further replies.