PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Finally pulled the trigger and bought a motor off ebay for $50 bucks to use as a buffer. Any suggestions on where I can get directions on attaching an on/off switch and a power cable to it? Is it overly involved where I should get an electrician or someone to do it? I feel that I'm kinda competent given clear direction if I can find it. Unfortunately I cant find any source for directions on the net or youtube(my favorite instructional source). I appreciate any input as for the time being its just a hunk of metal at the moment.

31IYYbUn2L-1.jpg
31IYYbUn2L-1.jpg

its new, not in box, a few dents and rust on the shaft(no big deal)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Baldor is a superior grade of motor. Can you ask around and find someone who is competent with this motor to hook it up for you or once you have the wiring diagram, show you how to hook it up? The white sticker on top has the wiring diagram on it...I can't see it good enough to help you out at this point....can you get a close up of it?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Baldor is so superior in fact, that you'll find a wiring diagram inside the hatch where the cable feeds into. It's straightforward. EDIT : oops, yeah looks like maybe that sticker has the wiring on it. If not, then it'll be on the hatch lid.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Great photos to help the process. Are you going to be using 110 volts, or 220 volts? 110 volt diagram is on the left hand side. You can see that the wiring is numbered, so connect your power cord ( black, white, and green ) black wire to the wires 1,3,and 8 all tied together with a yellow wire nut. connect your white power cord wire to wires 4,5,and 2 all tied together with a yellow wire nut. Your green(ground) wire in your power cord should be connected to the green ground screw inside the housing on the upper LH side.
Did you ask around to see if there was anyone who was familiar with hooking up motors just for a backup?

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Thanks Hobie. To get the ccw rotation i'll just switch the 5 and 8 wires like the diagram says. And I assume I can cap the wires when I have them connected? Is there any particular type of power cord I would use or can I use any 3 pronged cable I might have lying around the house (or maybe a powerstrip with an on/off switch). I guess I wouldn't need a switch for now as I can just plug it in to get it going. I have a friend who might have a friend but that could take months to get them together, lol.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Thanks Hobie. To get the ccw rotation i'll just switch the 5 and 8 wires like the diagram says. And I assume I can cap the wires when I have them connected? Is there any particular type of power cord I would use or can I use any 3 pronged cable I might have lying around the house (or maybe a powerstrip with an on/off switch). I guess I wouldn't need a switch for now as I can just plug it in to get it going.
Yes, you can twist the wires together and use a Yellow wire nut twisted tightly until it stops, then it is best to use some electrical tape around the wire and wire nut to ensure that the wire nut will not back off due to vibration of the motor. For a cord, look on the 3 wire cable and make sure that it is at least a 16 gauge wire inside, do not use a 18ga wire as that is too small for the amperage that the motor pulls. You can put a switch in line with the power cord. Just cut the black wire where the switch will be and put one side on one terminal of the switch, and the other side on the other terminal. That way you are just interrupting the power just as you would as if you cut the wire and were holding it up in the air and touching the wires to each other, or putting them together to complete the circuit...that's what the switch is going to do.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Interesting comments. I wired up my motor to a three-prong cord and put in the case, a small on/off toggle switch. When I plug it into my wall outlet, it immediately trips my GFI circuit in the garage. If I plug it into an overhead reel extension cord, it runs fine. My Uncle (the electrician) tells me it is not grounded properly. I'm going to take it over to him as I don't really have much of a clue on the fix. He said as it is currently wired, under the right conditions, I might get a shock thru the case. Mine does not have a capacitor start module.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
This is a visual on how to wire in a regular switch, just imagine your motor is where the light bulb is. The white wire is not interrupted, just the black wire is cut and put on the two terminals of the switch.
Basic-Light-Switch.gif

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Thanks Hobie, you guys are so helpful. Still might try to find someone more experienced than myself (wifey might kill me if I blow up the basement) or I still might try to do it myself. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If you don't see a post from me for a few days you can assume that I got anxious and tried it myself and something went wrong...lol.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
You are quite welcome, now just do all your wiring, then put on the thick rubber gloves, grab the plug and stick it in the outlet, close your eyes, and let us know if you survived, and/or how big the explosion was....lol

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
These are the kinds of moments that YouTube was created for...don't let us down. :laughat:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Oh, I forgot my disclaimer:
I KNOW NOTHING. :nana: Any information I provided was for entertainment purposes only and should only be performed by a licensed professional certified by Big Brother and blessed by Mother Teresa from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.