This is one of them :
baldo-baldi-straight-grain-pipe-600x250.jpg

baldo-baldi-straight-grain-3-600x508.jpg

baldo-baldi-straight-grain-pipe-600x250.jpg

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
The replacement stem is imho an huge improvement , and the job is again beyond perfection : eagles fly alone George 

I own two BB's. If it were not such a sin ; they are to kill for .
How are Baldo Baldi pipes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent! I had a P-lip style hyper-oxidized Vulcanite stem on a freehand estate pipe replaced with a tortoise shell fishtail stem and it made a whole new pipe with a West Germany stamp. It was a whole new day.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Welcome to Internet forums, where old threads eventually become new again. :lol:
(At first, I couldn't figure out why this popped up again. Then realized it was new to anyone who signed up after it was originally posted.)
As before, thanks for the kind words, gents. That was a fun one. :puffy:

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I love the tortoise pipe stem. Is there a source for those or only through a guy like george?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I love the tortoise pipe stem. Is there a source for those or only through a guy like george?
Dunhill once offered tortoise as its super-duper-extra-ultra-luxury stem option, many times more expensive than even ivory or amber, never mind "common" materials like horn or ebonite, but it has been illegal to harvest, trade in, or anything else for a long time. As in, get-visited-by-guys-with-guns-if-you-try illegal.
There are two kinds of decent synthetic tortoise available for pipe stems, though. One is available semi-molded (meaning it still requires significant shaping and fitting), while the other is strictly rod stock. Quite difficult to work with, but the fancier/better looking of the two. (It's what was used for this Baldi)
As for me being a source for the material, I'm not. I just fabricate it. The supplies I use come (mostly) from either Steve Norse or Tim West.

Status
Not open for further replies.