PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Hey, just ran into some money, and I thinking about a Baki. Definitely set on getting another meerschaum. I've heard good things about Baki, but I'd like to know a little more about them from people who own them...
Do they really use a 4mm tenons, like they say? Do they smoke well? Do they color well? Do the cumberland mouthpieces oxidize fast? Feel free to add anything. Thanks in advance.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Baki pipes are quality. The only other meerschaum I'd even consider for myself is one from carver Sadik Yanik, because I like his crazy detail to his pipes, or maybe a nice Altinok.
I have a couple Bakis. The cumberland stems have not oxidized - keeping them out of the sun probably helps. I don't know the exact tennon measurement, but 4mm seems realistic to me. They have a nice open draw, and no screw-in tennons... just a regular mortise and tennon, like a briar, made of delrin I believe.
They color just fine. I wouldn't say mine are dramatically fast in coloring, but they have some, and would color more I'm sure if I smoked them more.
If you're considering a meerschaum, I don't think you could hope to find a better made work horse than a Baki... the prices are higher, but I don't regret it :mrgreen:

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Raven/Wolf. I was also thinking about Yanik, but I hear he uses those darn screw-in tenons. Is this true? I have a meer with a screw-in push pull tenon that I never smoke anymore because of that. I can really appreciate Yanik's carvings, but I don't want to wait a month to for it to reach my house and then another month or two getting it re-stemmed. Can't beat his detail though. Damn...

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I only smoke meerschaums, and have owned over 100. If you can afford a Baki, get a Baki. In my opinion, they are overall superior in every way. I have also had nothing but excellent experiences buying from Deniz Ural, who is most knowledgable and experienced in the meerschaum trade.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Yep, all of my Yanik's have the plastic screw in tennon. It's the one bane of his pipes, in my opinion. I can still get a cleaner through them, but it's just not as simple as the briar type connection used by Baki.
My personal result is that I use the Bakis more, and I save the Yaniks for when the mood strikes or a special occasion of some sort.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
If you can make it into St. Charles, IL, for the Chicago pipe show - you can talk with Deniz Ural and go through all of his available pipes individually. I normally pick one up each year - there was a year where I had blown some significant money already, and Deniz actually helped me pick a less expensive Baki himself. I think it was older stock. Anyhow, Deniz is totally good people, and buying in person is pretty awesome.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have a Baki, an Altinook, a Storient, a CAO/Beckler and a cheap little no name meer. Oddly, the Storient is coloring far faster than any of the others and it is a decent pipe. The Altinook and the Beckler are both very nice. However, the Baki, is just a work of art in its simplicity of form and design.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I'm set on Baki. Deniz emailed me back today, very kind and professional person.
Maybe one day when I can afford the money and patience, getting the tenon replaced, I will order a Yanik. His carvings are impeccable works of art, but I need a good smoker.
Thanks, everyone. You've all been very helpful.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I did, Eastern Traveler, and they're really tempting me, but I just cannot deal with the tenons he uses. I already own a pipe with one and never smoke it because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.