PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I am not endorsing this business, but I sure do endorse Baki Meerschaums. Deniz Ural, who was the distributor for many years, no longer sells them. Which, in my opinion, is too bad - I always had very positive experiences buying Baki pipes from Deniz. Now, Baki hooked up with a Chinese company. I saw this on another pipe board, and thought that some here would be interested.
https://m.aliexpress.com/store/storeHome.htm?sellerAdminSeq=228239198&version=v2#/

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Yup, looks like Deniz Ural is now out of the picture. I also do not like to buy from AliExpress, the listing on AliXpress looks horrible, group photos of pipes just laying around looking like poop, this is not how you sell pipes. The chinese have always been about the numbers on B2B websites unless its an artisan pipemaker from the country :cry:
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
By chance, anyone have experience buying from AliExpress? I have one Baki pipe, and was considering to get one day another one. Looks like there are no other places/distributor to get a new pipe, only Aliexpress.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, it's a bummer that he stopped selling through Deniz. I intended to get another one at some point, but I really don't want to attempt a purchase through AE.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Yep, I am with you. I am thinking to get another Baki for awhile, and anxious to use AliExpress. Especially after I read some complaints about there service.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you Ormazd. Its reassuring. Eventually you can tolerate there poorly developed webpage, as long as they deliver what you bought without major problems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like there's a culture gap in retailing, which is especially an obstacle with Meerschaum, which are already a little outside the usual briar and cob circuit being sourced from Turkey. Then Chinese merchandising. Still, others have done okay, so if the price is right, it might be worth the bet. The web site talent and quality translation may not seem worth it to this outfit, but I'd guess it could be, if they took the leap.

Reactions: anotherbob

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I am in the process of buying 2 baki pipes from China.
I messaged the seller and asked if I could pay with paypal as there was no option on the website and didnt like the idea of transferring money by bank transfer.It seems it was because I am in greece) and he sent me an invoice.I believe that paypal option is automatically offered to most other countries
I sent the money and the pipes were dispatched ,they then sat for several days in China before being sent abroad.Once they arrived in Greece they then sat over 1 week awaiting customs import tax assessment,they are now on there way from athens to me.
If I had brought from deniz i would have still had these hold ups so for me its the same and NOT the sellers fault.I realise for American buyers this is something you wouldnt have had to endure before.
So for me it appears to work fine and the prices are very similar to before.I do agree about the Aliexpress page though it is very difficult to navigate and could do with a major overhaul

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
By chance, anyone have experience buying from AliExpress? I have one Baki pipe, and was considering to get one day another one. Looks like there are no other places/distributor to get a new pipe, only Aliexpress.

Yes, I used to buy sports jerseys from a seller there, since I didn't want any of my money going to Mark Davis. Only good experiences, similar to ebay. Of course, much depends on the seller.

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
I am in the process of buying 2 baki pipes from China.
I messaged the seller and asked if I could pay with paypal as there was no option on the website and didnt like the idea of transferring money by bank transfer.It seems it was because I am in greece) and he sent me an invoice.I believe that paypal option is automatically offered to most other countries
I sent the money and the pipes were dispatched ,they then sat for several days in China before being sent abroad.Once they arrived in Greece they then sat over 1 week awaiting customs import tax assessment,they are now on there way from athens to me.
If I had brought from deniz i would have still had these hold ups so for me its the same and NOT the sellers fault.I realise for American buyers this is something you wouldnt have had to endure before.
So for me it appears to work fine and the prices are very similar to before.I do agree about the Aliexpress page though it is very difficult to navigate and could do with a major overhaul
View attachment 10581View attachment 10582

Thank you for sharing! I've also decided to take the risk in pursuit of my own Baki. I decided, perhaps foolishly so, to just pay direct with a card.

Navigating the site is certainly different. My advice is to click the lot then hit buy now. It will ask you to select the "color" which is in fact the model of pipe. You will instantly see what's available and the price.

The price shown on the 1st thumbnail is the price of the cheapest pipe in the lot. You also get charged taxes+shipping at checkout. It seems scetchy but in Chinese culture selling is done very differently than US.

There are videos on YouTube on the account advchina that talk about that and China in general. Anyhow, thanks for the thread, I will post my update when I hopefully get the pipe in one price.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Too much finger crossing for my liking, but I hope it works out for you. They look like great pipes!

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
Too much finger crossing for my liking, but I hope it works out for you. They look like great pipes!

Those are @paulfg pipes and he received him so I am most likely just being overly concerned. He's the only guy I could find a review of an actual purchase for so it's just a super new distributor. People in other threads have confirmed by talking to people in the know this is the only way to buy Baki pipes now.

The price while not low by any means is a hell of a value for what many have posted is "the best" carvers work. Once my order works out I'm hoping others will feel more confident going through this distributor.

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
sorry for the double post but I figured out how Ali Express works in terms of shipments. First you have to click my orders off the top title bar
aliexpress how to 1.PNG

Then you will see your orders all listed. You have to hit the "Track Order" button,

aliexpress hot to 2.PNG

Scroll down and in the "Order Information" section it will have the carrier and tracking number.

Attachments

• aliexpress how to 1.PNG
    aliexpress how to 1.PNG
    49 KB · Views: 3
  • aliexpress hot to 2.PNG
    aliexpress hot to 2.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
Jun 23, 2019

Yep, I am with you. I am thinking to get another Baki for awhile, and anxious to use AliExpress. Especially after I read some complaints about there service.

Not sure if you guys' found a satisfactory answer yet but I've used AliExpress for a number of other hobby and while there can be difficulties dealing with vendors who speak English as a second language (very different perspectives of customer service) but it's basically China's eBay - so it still depends vendor to vendor but in terms of quality and reliability it's first rate. I've bought $$$$ of other gear with complete ease of mind that it'll be done right to me or I'll get my money back.

Now shipping is another story...

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
Not sure if you guys' found a satisfactory answer yet but I've used AliExpress for a number of other hobby and while there can be difficulties dealing with vendors who speak English as a second language (very different perspectives of customer service) but it's basically China's eBay - so it still depends vendor to vendor but in terms of quality and reliability it's first rate. I've bought $$$$ of other gear with complete ease of mind that it'll be done right to me or I'll get my money back.

Now shipping is another story...

My package arrives Monday according to ups, will update then :)

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
For whatever reason the forum is saying pictures from my phone are too big to upload but I received the pipe and it smokes wonderfully.

Reactions: paulfg
Status
Not open for further replies.