PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
for sniffing, nothing beats Bloodhound or Beagles..obviously less offensive to the public/crowd. need to adjust the situation when using a Rottweiler or an Alsation or a Melanois as sniffing dog (unless its your partner in patrol). large breed (attack) dogs are a lot to control and they respond decisively (which is good in certain situation).
For the needs of police, any dog COULD be fine.
The #1 dope sniffing dog for the US Border Patrol is a Pitbull rescued from a shelter. The problem is both improper training and not enough practice for the dog.
It is very difficult to keep a dog "on task" in an uncontrolled environment like a junkies car at midnight in a rain storm.
Many police departments do not do enough to limit false hits by their dog. If their dog hits, they get to bypass the 4th amendment and search the car.
There are military German Shepards that are 100% on explosives, which can be more difficult to detect than drugs.
The military DEFINITELY discourage false hits.
Its not the dog, its the handler and the handlers intentions that are the problem.
Many dog cops can't even get their dog off a bite.....ive seen the videos. :)

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
For the needs of police, any dog COULD be fine.
The #1 dope sniffing dog for the US Border Patrol is a Pitbull rescued from a shelter. The problem is both improper training and not enough practice for the dog.
It is very difficult to keep a dog "on task" in an uncontrolled environment like a junkies car at midnight in a rain storm.
Many police departments do not do enough to limit false hits by their dog. If their dog hits, they get to bypass the 4th amendment and search the car.
There are military German Shepards that are 100% on explosives, which can be more difficult to detect than drugs.
The military DEFINITELY discourage false hits.
Its not the dog, its the handler and the handlers intentions that are the problem.
Many dog cops can't even get their dog off a bite.....ive seen the videos. :)
Agreed. Dogs can be trained to do anything. For uncontrolled situation (and particularly when they sense danger or nervous person) they will go automatic-defensive, or outright aggressive. Even my Corgi went defensive-mode when walking with me at night.

Reactions: brian64

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Indeed.

Unlike herding dogs that are put down when they get too old to do the job, retired police dogs stay in the possession of their trainer/handler as a family pet for the rest of their days. And good ones they are, too. :)
Good herding dogs retire and live with their families to the end. A good herding dog in Australia will cost you well north of $30,000 (the two in the picture could be worth as much as $80k) and they are worth every penny and as such when it gets to hard for them they end up spending their days in front of the fire or on the verandah in the sun and occasionally get to ride in the buggy and keep an eye on the new rising stars. These dogs are as good as two or three men and have deserved their time in the sun and live a full, happy life.
A picture of my dogs doing what they love.
Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 10.47.18 am.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Good herding dogs retire and live with their families to the end. A good herding dog in Australia will cost you well north of $30,000 (the two in the picture could be worth as much as $80k) and they are worth every penny and as such when it gets to hard for them they end up spending their days in front of the fire or on the verandah in the sun and occasionally get to ride in the buggy and keep an eye on the new rising stars. These dogs are as good as two or three men and have deserved their time in the sun and live a full, happy life.
A picture of my dogs doing what they love.
View attachment 320159

Might be a difference with cattle vs. sheep.

In sheep country here in the US (I lived in it for four years and knew several ranchers who also entered their dogs in timed/judged competitions), they all said the pooches go stir-crazy as house pets, and as soon as they're let outside they pack up with other retired dogs and go around killing stragglers, newborns, and so forth. That their breeding can't be contained (so to speak).

Bummed me out big time to hear it.

Then again, maybe it's something different in the regional breeds and/or training that you guys use.

Or, being upside down all the time makes their brains grow different?

Aug 1, 2012
I love my law enforcement friends and have met tons of great individuals who were/are cops. On the other hand, there was a time, at least where I grew up, where prospective LEOs were required to take a test. If he/she scored too high, instant rejection. It meant that a few of my friends who desired to serve were rejected and one sued successfully. There are a myriad of ways the beaurocracy has screwed up there and that's just one.

It's easy to look at the pimple and forget to see the face. Most cops are regular people trying to do the best the can at a rough job. And yes, there are a portion of real assholes sprinkled in. Ratios vary by place and time.

I won't comment on the view towards criminals as that would veer into the political.

The dogs are another story and I'm biased since I was attacked by a retired police dog as a kid. Nasty business.

Reactions: JOHN72 and brian64

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree...I'm not entirely sure it was necessary either. Problem is, you can't really see exactly what's happening when the apparent little scuffle occurs.
Nope and even if you could there is still certainly a difference between how a hit or grab looks and how it feels.
But as I said, it's pretty stupid to keep resisting and acting belligerent when you've already been warned about the dog.
Yeah guy gave me a real blowhard pushy jerk energy. The kind of guy that feels tough cause 90% of people just don't want any problems. Who knows but that's how it looked to me. I've dealt with more then a few people like that.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Had to bump this for this story I came across. Words fail me to express how sickening it is when people leave animals in cars in the summer heat.

Pretty amazing that this dog knew to honk the horn.

IMPD officer adopts German Shepherd he rescued on the job

Abby, the German Shepherd, was left in a hot car with another dog who tragically died. She helped save herself and a cat by honking the car's horn.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Love it! The dumbass “badass” ends up screaming like a little bitch………. People who don’t obey police orders deserve this. These types of videos should be shown in our schools, the thinking students might learn something, the dumbasses will learn it the hard way……