PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
That ended up passing a few miles from my brother's place.

All that stuff up in the air is sheets of corrugated steel from farm buildings.

I was surprised that house didn't at least lose part of its roof.

Reactions: JOHN72

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Horrible, humbling and fascinating, all at the same time.

What parts of USA is most tornado-ridden?
And, what is it like to live among a continuous risk of tornados?
I'm figuring it has to be a constant sense of preparedness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those Mississippi tornado photos are breathtaking. It looks like its been bombed to flat ground. The human toll was awful, but it is amazing as many survived as did.

It was both wide and long-running.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
These tornados were around my town yesterday. South of Iowa City as the video indicates. Didn't hit my town by some miracle. But a couple places 10 min from my town were hit.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Unfortunately, no one can reliably predict the where/when of tornadoes which makes evasion nearly impossible. OTOH I've never understood numb nuts who choose to ride out hurricanes when science is pretty good at predicting where, when, and how hard a hurricane will hit days in advance.

We get them a lot. One actually hit us a few years ago, but it destroyed the house next to ours, jumped over our house and destroyed the block on the other side. We had trampolines, swing sets, and garbage cans that weren’t ours piled up in our backyard.

When I was a kid, we were in a storm cellar when one leveled our great grandmother’s house where we were visiting. Being underground as one goes directly over you blows your eardrums out for a few days. The pressure is intense.

I can tell when one is close by the pressure on my ears now. We have a room in our house with our emergency stuff where we buckle down during storms. It has helmets, dog leashes, shoes, flashlights, tools, and stuff we would need if one took out our house. It was built to withstand a storm. A lot of houses down here have them. My wife has dragged me and the animals in there in the dead of night several times.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Can't predict a tornado. The real trouble with them is they usually strike at late night when people are asleep. Generally speaking, a tornado doesn't cover a lot of ground when it hits. Maybe, mile wide and 100 miles long if it is a big one. My ex-wife used to be scared as hell of them. She get the binoculars out and be scanning the skies for them. Me? I'd be inside watching the game.

Maybe they can’t pinpoint exactly where one will hit in a neighborhood, but they get close. We watch the doppler quadrangles on the news. They can pinpoint street addresses within quarter mile radiuses. We are a part of a corridor that we listen for on the news. We can tell when and where one will be close or not by corridor reports. They are pretty damned accurate.
We just don’t get days like of advance notice… usually just ten minutes or so if it is in our corridor, but we know in advance when to be looking, waiting.
With modern meteorology, very few people actually die in these. Out of hundreds of houses being taken out, maybe one person gets hurt, but not killed… which is remarkable.

We have James Span that we like to watch. If he takes his jacket off, we start watching the news weather. If he rolls his sleeves up, we get the dogs into the safe room. If he says our street address we run like HELL!

Reactions: yanoJL
Back when my kids were small, we were loading up groceries when we heard the sirens go off and saw a funnel cloud on the horizon. I piled the kids into my Monte Carlo SS and floored it. We watched it from the rearview window as I smoked the asphalt. We made it home to hear that the grocery store had been wiped out. Although no one was seriously hurt at the grocers, I was glad that my instinct told me bot to go back in there.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Those supercell monsters like Kansas too. All part of Tornado Alley.

Seeing storms that top out at 60,000 feet or more is humbling. Watching them exploding up into the stratosphere gives a sense of the enormous energy that can be released by water vapor condensing.

No matter how big, tornados deserve respect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Every few years in central N.C. we'll get a tornado. One tore the sides off apartment complexes and left the bedrooms and kitchens open to the weather.

When I was on a small research laboratory campus with a lot of small one-story buildings, before we moved to a new big building, the sky got kind of yellow and the wind started. I went inside for about a hour, and when I came out, siding was torn off and entry ways were dismantled. I don't think it had quite formed up, but it was starting in that direction.