PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Just did a little shufflin’ of my tobacco cabinet and took stock of things on this rainy morning. I’ve tended to stick to 15 regular rotation blends in the last 5 years or so, as a result some things have sat unnoticed

I guess I’m generally aware of what’s stashed in there, but today I suppose the realization hit me that I’ve got a lot in there that I’ve paid precisely zero attention to for years now...

Like a 10 year old jar of Kendal Cream Flake that, after such a long time, has lost a lot of its dish-soapy flavor and is proving to be a more pleasant smoke than I thought.

A jar with a few scraps of FVF that originated in my earliest days of true pipe smoking-I bought it at JoVann’s Cigars in Cleveland and it’s got to be 12 years old now, pitch black and probably crazy delicious. I’ve had a larger stash of FVF that I’ve been smoking from, so somehow this pipeful escaped my grubby fingers. We’ll change that this evening.

A jar of Caravan that’s got, again, about 10 years on it. I remember not liking it much when I purchased it, and it’s been filed away in my mind and cabinet aging and waiting. I popped the lid and took a whiff and...hooooooooo it smell so good. A big cloud of fermented VAs and oriental scents puffed out and said hello. I’m looking forward to this one with a glass of scotch.

Some 2002 McClelland’s Anniversary that I last dipped into about 4 years ago. Smells like wine, Latakia present but just barely. It’s pitch black dudes, my god I got goosebumps.

Boker Or? I don’t even remember but it looks and smells like pipe tobacco.

Grousemoor...I smoked a few bowls of this last year, and a few when I bought it. Wrote a review on the review place, and it seems like I liked it but I might have been a little bit into the sippin’ jar when I wrote that one. Oau D’Grandma has softened even more.

Old World Twist...again a JoVann’s purchase back in the before times. Looks like I jarred it and then never touched it. This is one that I’m not particularly excited for, it LOOKS cool, but the scent is a bit artificial. We’ll see.

And I found a pipe, some kind of no-name Rusti-Crap that is smoking Kendal Cream with a bit of gurgle. I’ll keep this one for the scented blends and the occasional aro.

So bottom line, I’m thinking of calling the boss and telling him I have the Corona, posting up on the porch and ignoring my girlfriend while selfishly puffing myself to oblivion on these finds. Guess it’s a great time to take stock of things!

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Just did a little shufflin’ of my tobacco cabinet and took stock of things on this rainy morning. I’ve tended to stick to 15 regular rotation blends in the last 5 years or so, as a result some things have sat unnoticed

I guess I’m generally aware of what’s stashed in there, but today I suppose the realization hit me that I’ve got a lot in there that I’ve paid precisely zero attention to for years now...

Like a 10 year old jar of Kendal Cream Flake that, after such a long time, has lost a lot of its dish-soapy flavor and is proving to be a more pleasant smoke than I thought.

A jar with a few scraps of FVF that originated in my earliest days of true pipe smoking-I bought it at JoVann’s Cigars in Cleveland and it’s got to be 12 years old now, pitch black and probably crazy delicious. I’ve had a larger stash of FVF that I’ve been smoking from, so somehow this pipeful escaped my grubby fingers. We’ll change that this evening.

A jar of Caravan that’s got, again, about 10 years on it. I remember not liking it much when I purchased it, and it’s been filed away in my mind and cabinet aging and waiting. I popped the lid and took a whiff and...hooooooooo it smell so good. A big cloud of fermented VAs and oriental scents puffed out and said hello. I’m looking forward to this one with a glass of scotch.

Some 2002 McClelland’s Anniversary that I last dipped into about 4 years ago. Smells like wine, Latakia present but just barely. It’s pitch black dudes, my god I got goosebumps.

Boker Or? I don’t even remember but it looks and smells like pipe tobacco.

Grousemoor...I smoked a few bowls of this last year, and a few when I bought it. Wrote a review on the review place, and it seems like I liked it but I might have been a little bit into the sippin’ jar when I wrote that one. Oau D’Grandma has softened even more.

Old World Twist...again a JoVann’s purchase back in the before times. Looks like I jarred it and then never touched it. This is one that I’m not particularly excited for, it LOOKS cool, but the scent is a bit artificial. We’ll see.

And I found a pipe, some kind of no-name Rusti-Crap that is smoking Kendal Cream with a bit of gurgle. I’ll keep this one for the scented blends and the occasional aro.

So bottom line, I’m thinking of calling the boss and telling him I have the Corona, posting up on the porch and ignoring my girlfriend while selfishly puffing myself to oblivion on these finds. Guess it’s a great time to take stock of things!

Back in the day, I was able to snag a number of the German made Rattray tins from the very early 2000s at JoVanns. Only 2 left in the cellar. They also had many of the OTC 14 or 12 oz cans there, I actually loved John Rolfe peach.

Mike S.

Reactions: BROBS

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Back in the day, I was able to snag a number of the German made Rattray tins from the very early 2000s at JoVanns. Only 2 left in the cellar. They also had many of the OTC 14 or 12 oz cans there, I actually loved John Rolfe peach.

Mike S.

They’re a great shop, the pipe section gets smaller each time I visit but they have good stuff, with the occasional great find. They usually get one or two shipments of Gawith in each year, plus the Rattray’s you mentioned...and always Escudo and some MacBarens.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I wish I had a cellar where I could find stuff like this. I'm going down to the b&m tomorrow and stocking up. I also Just got a half pound from SP in the mail today. I'm working on it

Reactions: Bowie

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked the pipe for about 5 years but then fell seriously in love with cigars. But cigars are expensive. Thus to get the humidors and cigars, and torch lighter and cutter and humidifiers, I sold about $2-3K of my cellar, which had occupied 5 giant Igloo coolers.

I continued to sell tobacco, and pipes (I had 70) over the next several years for the same reason. Then in 2013 I got some money and spent about $8K on tobacco, the coming restrictions the driver. Then in 2018/19 when I quit tobacco I had two sales of I guess about #250.

My point in all of this is how seriously I was hooked on tobacco and how I spent my last dime on it. It is doubtful that huge cellars will ever be smoked, but perhaps acquisivity was always the point.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Holy crap...it's been forever since I've logged into the forum. Took about a 2 year break(not from smoking, mostly from logging in) but nice to see the new site. Hope all is well, and everyone is staying safe. Nice to see Chasing Embers' cellar. One of my favorite things is seeing peoples stashes. I've got about 40 lbs tobacco in closets around my house.

Reactions: Chasing Embers