PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just got back from the WCPS and I had one of the most enjoyable weekends in recent memory! Thanks to jguss, jiminks, Matt Guss, greybawn and traillboss, Marty, Mike, Sally, Steve, and others for the camaraderie, parties, great meals, and tips on possible purchases! I met some great people there, pipers from all across the country and around the world, chatted with a number of carvers, shared tobaccos, and took a nice break from the daily grind.
If you haven't gone to a pipe show, I urge you to go. Support your pipe shows! Pipe shows provide great opportunities to meet interesting people, and possibly find something you've been looking for but could never find. Support the West Coast Pipe Show! It's in Vegas, so there is no shortage of things to do in addition to enjoying the show, and you can smoke to your heart's content at the show.
I have more than enough pipes for the moment, so I went to the WCPS with two goals in mind, to spend time with my friends in the community, and to look for some holy grail tobaccos. I scored big time on both. Here's a picture of the purchases that I made. I had been wanting to find some 1996 Red Ribbon and Red Flake, some GL Pease Raven's Wing and Haddo's Delight, and some Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend. I found them all, dated 2003-5, and at very moderate prices, a fraction of what these get on eBay.
IIPffIn.jpg

Support your shows, and support the West Coast Pipe Show, which will be back in early November of next year.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is that OBB with or without Syrian? And did you use your Players Club card when purchasing?
The OBB is Syrian. I use the Players Club card for purchases from the hotel, like discounts on meals and purchases from their store in the lobby. The tobacco was bought from a show vendor, not the hotel. How would the Players Club card provide a benefit in this instance? The tobacco prices were about 35% to 60% of the prices I've seen on eBay, so no complaints here. As an example, Ravens Wing typically goes for around $75 when it turns up. I paid $40.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The stars definitely aligned. These were very specifically blends that I wanted and there they were at prices I could afford.
I can't stress highly enough the pleasures of attending a pipe show. Support them so that they will continue.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good stuff ya got there! I’ve still never been to a pipe show... hell I’ve never been to a pipe club! I don’t even know another pipe smoker now that I think about it. I’m really gonna try to make it to the Texas show next year.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As a newbie to pipe shows, I can attest they are a must! Almost everyone is super friendly, and will help first timers navigate the scene.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Missed it this year. :cry: And the most pathetic thing is I live in Las Vegas less than 10 minutes from Palace Station! :roll: I will definitely be back next November - it's a great show. :puffy:

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
As Jesse and others have written, the show was great. Had an awesome time seeing friends that I only get to see at shows. Even with the renovations going on in the hotel pipe people find ways to overcome.
It felt like more people attended and even on Sunday it was good. I did notice a number of empty vendor tables, which I assume were booked by carvers that decided to attend the show in China this past weekend. I guess I understand, but doubt I'll forget where their priorities are.
I was really pleased to see how many US carvers ( with solid client bases in China ) attend the Las Vegas Show.
The dinner, Saturday evening was decent, and the guest speaker ( Jeff Gracik - J Alan Pipes ) offered great insight into how pipes are made. Freehand versus lathe turned.
Shows are great places to pick up knowledge and make life long friendships. Collectors and carvers are friendly. If you think you'll feel out of place, you'd be wrong. If you want to learn about a specific brand, there is almost someone that knows the line and is willing to share information.
PLUS if you buy raffles tickets ( like I did ) you might win something OR lots of things. I was fortunate to win 2 x 3 tins of tobacco, a copy of Rick Newcombe's book In Search of Pipe Dreams, am IMP Meerschaum pipe, and a Michael Novak pipe. The number of items raffled was vast. Steve O'Neal did the raffle each hour with at least 4 or 5 items each run, through both days of the show. So around 50 items were raffled off. Pipes, books, tobacco, t shirts, tampers and various other things.
For someone wondering which show to make their first, I strongly suggest this show. The venue is ok, and the room costs will not leave you hurting. The show is small enough that you can see all of it, and large enough that you can get swept away and not see all of it.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with everything Jesse, Jim, Steve and Mike had to say. Pipe shows are great; they deserve our support; and this is one of the best. I had a terrific time, and join the chorus in strongly urging everyone who can to come. If not Vegas, then any of the other wonderful shows scattered around the country. Opportunities where you can help your community and have a complete and utter blast are relatively rare.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
What a wonderful time at the West Coast Pipe Show in Las Vegas this past weekend. There was something for everyone with all ranges of pipes, tobacco, and related items. This is a really friendly show and it is nearly impossible to meet a stranger. The ease of networking and creating lasting connections is so apparent. Las Vegas is easy to get to, the hotel is casual and affordable, and there are plenty of things to do around the town.

This is a very special pipe event that conveniently bisects the year with the Chicago show. If you have never been to a pipe show this is a perfect place to start.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.