PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
So we just got home a few hours ago from Boston and it is regrettable that we only had about 36 hours in such a great city. We stayed at The Kendall in Cambridge which was a nice little boutique hotel situated near the MIT campus. We had a fantastic dinner at Legal Seafood (our server's name was Bora and he was awesome). We walked some of the Freedom Trail and I had a pipe while we sat by the harbor. But enough of that.
The second we got off the T in Boston Common I dragged my girlfriend immediately down to LJ Peretti's. My first feeling on walking through the door was contentment followed by sadness that this kind of store is a beautiful anachronism. I learned that saying 'VaPer' in real-life is something that you shouldn't do but, like I told the guy, if I didn't want to get my balls busted, I shouldn't have come to Boston.
Once he straightened out on that, we got down to tobacco and I showed my ass again when I smelled a jar and misidentified some ingredients. He recommended to me Dundee (VaPer + cigar leaf) which I got 2oz of (is excellent) and I also picked up 2oz of London Flake (which I just finished my first bowl of and is excellent as well). All of the tobacco that is sold comes from the 'paint cans' behind the counter and I was informed that, next time, I can bring my pipe and sample the tobaccos out of the jars on the counter. I figured that the tobacco in the jars were just something else they were selling out of. I'm surprised he didn't laugh when I asked if I was allowed to handle the jars.
The selection of pipes was large for a store that wasn't also a warehouse and some of the Peretti label pipes were quite reasonably priced (staring around $40). Sadly, I still did not have the funds for a new pipe but the next time I go, I'm going earmark some for a little PAD, especially now that my appetite was been whetted.
Again, to my embarrassment, I forgot to ask the gentleman's name who helped me but I won't forget him anytime soon.
With Peretti's coming up first, I decided to skip Leavitt-Pierce because you can only go down from Peretti's. In fact, we only gave the Harvard-area a cursory drive through before we headed for home.
Also, just up Tremont from Peretti's was a bar called Remington's that was fantastic as well. I wanted to sit in there all day. I had a great burger, the beer was reasonably priced and the bartender reminded me of Emma Stone. That's a win-win-win.
I can't wait to get back. Or move.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
but, like I told the guy, if I didn't want to get my balls busted, I shouldn't have come to Boston.

rotflmao!
yeah, we can be that way sometimes ;-) .
REALLY glad you got to spend some time at LJPeretti. the place is a national treasure IMO.
it's okay to miss Harvard Square - it ain't what it used to be back in the 70s and 80s. today it's all about The Gap and Pizzeria Uno and crap like that most of the time. Leavitt is an experience, but you're correct that it's no LJPeretti.
doody.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Just another tidbit of information. The guys at Peretti's also dine at Remingtons which is close by and decent food. In years past we held some of our Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club meetings at Remingtons downstairs in the huge vault!!! Yes, it used to be a bank a long time back and the huge vault is used for dining at times!!!

Glad that you got to Peretti's, the finest and LAST fine tobacconist in Beantown. Like you said, they have pipes in all price ranges, and their tobacco blends are amazing. Thanks for sharing your adventures, I'm sure you will return there in the future. :clap:

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I saw the downstairs at Remington's when I used the bathroom, I think I saw a prize wheel and decided not to ask. I knew had a good feeling when I went in there too, I just didn't know how friendly they were to the pipe-lifestyle. I will go there everything I'm in Boston from now on!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Great that you had a great initiation at LJP. They indeed are a national, if not planetary, treasure. Now that my daughter has moved to Bay Village, 2 blocks away, I'll be at LJP a whole bunch more. Some of their blends are recipes they concocted many decades ago and have withstood the test of time. Quite a few reside comfortably, albeit temporarily, in my Top100 Cellar.
hp

les

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I'm thinking of taking a ride to Peretti's - is there anywhere to park on the street around there or should I just take the T?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
There is also a public parking garage directly beneath the business tower that they are in. That is where I always park when I am in town... Have fun and Merry Christmas!!

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I parked in Cambridge. But, then again, my hotel was in Cambridge. Do what roth says and do some research. And DO NOT say VaPer or any other types of contractions. VaPers are Virginia-Perique blends, aros are aromatics and so on.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
bog - there is street parking, even in front of LJP, but watch the specific directions about times and mind the meter. If you park a few blocks further up Charles St from the Common, rates and times are more liberal. The meter maids are very diligent, especially since the Recession cut into the city's tax revenues.
hp

les

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Dunno where if you're coming from out of town, Peretti's is near the south end of Boston Common. You can park at Boston Common Garage, (first hour $10, 2 hours $14) http://www.massconvention.com/bcg.html
If you do take the "T" -- you get off at Boylston, a few blocks east from Peretti's.
If you thinking of buying a pipe, check out their estates.
Oh -- and if I were you, I'd do my research, especially about their blends, ahead of your visit to, let's just say, improve your experience.
I'll be coming from Salem NH, but I think actually I'll probably be coming in from Salem, MA on that day. I've already done a bunch of research and plan to buy several bulk blends to take home with me. Thanks for the tips - sounds like I'll be parking at that garage!

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Yes peretti's is about a 15 min walk from my place in the south end. It really is a treasure and I shouldn't take it for granted. There seem to be so few really good pipe and cigar shops around so I hope they stick around. Going thru the door is like going back in time! It is much smaller than you may expect but it's the place where I have bought almost all my pipes. I am working on some of their blends which were recommended by them as a renewed pipe smoker.
I could spend all day in that little place. Very old school and worth the visit anytime in Boston. I am very lucky to have them so close to me and I will cherish that!

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Went to Peretti's today. Had no trouble parking on the street and got a meter for 48 minutes. It was a miserable day so there weren't many people in the city. Spent about an hour there and got myself probably 10 different stashes between 1 and 2 oz of their various bulk blends and 1 tin of the new Balkan Sobranie. Sampled myself a few blends while I was there -- Ebony, Park Square, D-9575, Scottish Flake, 432, etc.
Very much an old school tobacconist; LOVED the big old scale that they weighed out my various orders on. Had to pay the mass state tax on the tobacco for buying in the store, which was a bit of a bummer since if I walked out and placed an internet order I could get em' for cheaper but eh. Whatever. When in Rome.
I found the gents there to be quite friendly and a far cry from the surly old codgers some have made them out to be.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Haha, sounds like a typical encounter at LJP's. They can be a little brusque in there. Their blends justify the abuse they give. I smoke LJP blends almost exclusively. It is a must-see if your in Boston. Glad you got the opportunity.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peretti's is definitely a must see. Is Ehrlich's still in business? We used to go there also, they are the ones who bought out Leavitt and Peirce years ago. If memory serves they have been around even longer than Peretti's and used to have a guy carving meers in the window way back when. I remember Cambridge Sq in the 70's and 80's much different today.
In regards to a place to eat after visiting Peretti's, I would recommend Ocean Wealth in Chinatown which is pretty close. Some of the best seafood in the city.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
There is still an Ehrlich's, but it isn't a pipe store with guys making pipes in the window. It's a bar/restaurant in Boston near Faneuil Hall that has a good-sized walk-in cigar humidor and a few hand-blended pipe tobaccos. It's not a pipe destination - other than to enjoy a bowl with a drink.
Leavitt & Peirce is still going strong in Harvard Square. Their pipe selection is okay, and they have a broad selection of hand-blended tobaccos. However, the last time I was in I asked the woman behind the pipe tobacco counter whether they had any blends with cigar leaf in them. She couldn't parse that: "The cigars are right over there", etc.
LJ Peretti is the only real deal left in Boston, really. Outside of Boston there are some other great places (like Watch City Cigar in Framingham - my local B&M).
Doody

Status
Not open for further replies.