PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
The wife was looking for Christmas gift ideas for me, so I pointed her to the baccyflaps at Reborn Briar. Ordered last week and two are on the way. I am excited to get my hands on these little pipe accessories of yesteryear. The wife told me if I open the package before she gets to it and hides the baccyflaps away she will break my fingers.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Those are pretty cool looking, although on a cursory glance they could easily be mistaken for a makeup compact...
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Damn Pat, never thought of that. I think it's too late to cancel. Then again, my pipe bag does look like a purse . . .

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I've been thinking about having a machinist copy one of these into aluminum for a more modern take.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
@Peck, I picked up a couple Baccyflaps last year with full intent of using them while out in the bush etc. Well turns out they are to much of a collectors item and just very neat to chance breaking the Bakelite.
Ended up getting one of these for hiking...and I have actually used the magnifying glass to light my pipe on sunny days.
IMG_4593-800x800.JPG

May 31, 2012
Awesome man! You should be excited, those things are just too cool.
...on the second night of Christams my true love gave to me 2 Baccyflaps

:D

A wonderful wife!

Don't make her break yer fingers! LOL
I've been wanting one of those for a while, but I usually lose on the auctions, then I forget about them, and now they're back on my mind - but Alan has a great selection of them, most of his have a nice "swirl grain" on the bakelite...
...at some point, these things skyrocketed in value, like dig this old Pipestud auction,

WUNUP ORIGINAL BACCY FLAP HIGHLY COLLECTABLE AND RARE! - PIPE STUD

...sold for $230 all said and done, yowza!
Now I'll be back on the lookout, they're just too cool.
Congrats and Merry Christmas!
Neal Archer Roan did a nice blog article about 'em,

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/11/6/the-elusive-baccyflap.html
Here's an old Parker brochure that shows 'em,

BqstbXp.jpg

Did you get a Parker or Wunup version?

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Mine is solid brass, but you can get copper and German Silver.
They are replicas of early Hudson Bay Company Trader's tobacco tin / tinder box. They have a built in magnifying glass to start fire and your pipe.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
@damnyak what is that thing?
Oops I let the page set to long.
Looks like you can get them direct from the manufacturer:
http://www.tdcmfgstore.com/agora.cgi?cart_id=40844065.29596&p_id=B1H&xm=on&ppinc=search2

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
The Hudson Bay Company Trader's tobacco tin can be ordered from most shops, retailers, etc who sell pre 1840 re-enactment goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.