Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've picked up three Dunhills on eBay and haven't been disappointed (yet!). I think you might be surprised at some of the good deals you can find there. To be honest, to me, they're just good, well-made pipes. I do realize that they have a mystique about them -- likely due to the fact that they were one of the few brands to be priced in the hundreds even 30 years ago. They also established the standard for what a traditional English pipe should look like.
I'm personally more of a fan of Charatans and older Comoys, when it comes to English pipes. But I can't deny the allure of that little white spot on the stem. :)
Bob

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's the pix of my Dunhill, which turned out to be a 1969 model. It's a great little briar and smokes Balkans beautifully. The break-in (Yes, other than being old and dusty, it was virtually unsmoked and still needed broken in) only took about 10 bowls or so. It's starting to build a nice cake. I smoked a little this and that, but it hit its stride after I put several bowls of Brigadier Black Bull Run through it. Now I smoke either BH, Magnum Opus or Miskatonic in it.
I doubt I'd ever pay full retail for a new Dunhill and will stick to the old estates (especially pre-'68) but I'm that way about a lot of things, especially pipes. I like Kaywoodies, too and don't have one newer than the 1960s.
IMAG0068_zps43f1a999.jpg

IMAG0070_zps81cba9bc.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just keep poking around the bay. I've got my eyes peeled for a '73! I want a Root Briar, but I like my Shell so much, I may stick with that.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
"Baron: Get the root. They are the best tasting Dunhills. Congrats, dude. "
Will definitely take your advice to heart, foggy. You have quite the Dunhill collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.