PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I usually stop for an hour or two at my local shop (whole two story house) weekly. I will buy a couple of tins and a cigar for the road trip home. leather chairs, flat screens, card room, free donuts from a local bakery on Sat. Front porch, fire pit and grill out the back. Just a damn comfortable place to hangout. Oh, and a veterans discount.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I always talk to the owner and let him know that I appreciate having a pipe shop around and a space for us to smoke and BS and I buy something on the way out, an ounce or two of his blends or even just pipe cleaners. Its just my way of being respectful and courteous.

Reactions: Laurent

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I usually stop for an hour or two at my local shop (whole two story house) weekly. I will buy a couple of tins and a cigar for the road trip home. leather chairs, flat screens, card room, free donuts from a local bakery on Sat. Front porch, fire pit and grill out the back. Just a damn comfortable place to hangout. Oh, and a veterans discount.
That sounds like an awesome B&M!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I try to get to my local tobacco shop every week. I've been invited to hang out and try blends free of charge but haven't took them up on that. I like to get 2-4 ounces of different house blends per visit....about $20...I also tend to buy a pack of cleaners and a lighter too. The etiquette of it all is a great question I think.
try the blends. If you smoke more of their blends you're more likely to get someone asking you what you're smoking. They're offering you those trials as much to be friendly and say thank you as they are because it's an affordable way to possibly increase their business. So first off if they're thanking you be a sport and say you're welcome. Second they're spending pennies to possibly make dollars. :) End of the day it's up to you. But if you say no say no because you're not interested not because you want to be nice :). That's all.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
This is all the "etiquette" you need to know about B&M's... buy stuff while you're there or they will close up shop & go away. Support the business and buy what you are able, when you are able too. I don't think there's any hard and fast rules... per usual, YMMV :sher:
Nicely put. The words that come to mind blunt and succinct. Also direct. Elegant use of language should be commended.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
A good cigar lounge here asked 5 euros an hour with drinks (coffee, tea, soda) included which is a steal. If he wants to charge me more he should, I think it's a matter of fair giving and taking: he provides me a service, I pay him a fair amount in for example a fee and extra tobacco. I've never visited that lounge, it closed 1.1.2022.
All that Secret Santa stress, you don't visit, they go belly up! This place moves the needle one way or the other!

:)

Sep 19, 2019
One would go in and use the amenities to smoke, no? Another good rule of thumb would be to always smoke what you have purchased there. I work at a coffeeshop with lots of seating, and we don't mind if somebody hangs out for awhile on a single mug of coffee (we'll even refill it for them). Obviously somebody walking in with a dunkin donuts travel mug is a problem. But if you don't have much of a budget, but you do have a consistent relationship with the business (making a point to buy tobacco and supplies from them, etc), I don't see the problem with buying a tin and sitting down for the afternoon.

But of course, I'm using my own experience as a jumping point- it really depends on the specifics of the business (its model, your relationship with them, the overall mood, etc.)

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
What is the name and location of this paradise ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It's more they were not allowed to stay open, smoking rooms in any workspace are prohibited from 1.1.2022. Yes, really, you work in a cigar shop because you don't like smoking.
it's funny it always seems to shift back. Either people find loopholes or the tides shift a little bit. For example smoke shops can allow smoking now where I live and some bars even have indoor smoking areas.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
it's funny it always seems to shift back. Either people find loopholes or the tides shift a little bit. For example smoke shops can allow smoking now where I live and some bars even have indoor smoking areas.

Everything is arranged on a federal level here, our country is so tiny it's not doable to arrange that on a province level.

Untill a few years ago it was allowed to smoke in bars and restaurants, then it was only allowed when the put a fishtank within the establishment with proper ventilation etc, but waiters were not allowed to enter that room to order or bring drinks. After a few years that idea was scratched for bars and restaurants, some have spend a small fortune to keep smoking allowed in their business. Since 1.1.2022 every room specific for smoking is not allowed, even for tobacco shops.

Aug 1, 2012
Mine understands well. I come in to smoke with a pipe club and spend what I can. We all do. I've spent for an estate pipe here and there as well as a few ounces of LBF. My wife has been out of work for 6 months which makes my funds tight but when I sell a pipe, our B&M gets a portion of it. Just do what you can, from the $1.50 coffee to the pipe cleaners to the estate pipe shelf. As long as you are moving it forward for them, that's what often counts.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I figure at least a tin. Most people come in and buy a tin or a cigar or two and leave, as long as you're doing that you're cool. If you hang out, they know there's a better chance you may buy another tin, or you finally decide you really can't live without that new pipe in the case. I know I've walked in planning on a quick smoke and grab a tin, and wind out burning an afternoon and a couple hundred dollars.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You are all over thinking this. Be kind, courteous, and if you come often, develop a relationship with the owner or staff. Buy because of value and support because of doing a good turn for local businesses. Forty years of supporting local B&M Pipe shops, this thinking carried me a long way and I was never unwelcomed. There is no daily dollar amount required.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are using the place as a club, where you spend an hour at two when you visit, I think you should up your spending somewhat, depending on your budget. You don't owe it to anyone to overspend, but make sure you usually buy something, and sometimes buy something significant. If you pop in for fifteen minutes, pipe cleaners and some bulk blend might be appropriate. If you are making conversation and spending a hour or two on a regular basis, then I'd spend more. However, as long as you are polite and upbeat, your being there is a plus, likely to make other customers spend something. In most cases, the proprietor would rather have customers or potential customers than not. A window shopper now and then makes the place look active and busy and is a plus. I wouldn't focus on that in your thinking. Just take care of the shop by stopping buy and spending when you can and when you actually need items.