PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I recently, rather, accidentally, won a bid on a polish pear wood poker pipe, made by the brand of B&B. They claim to be handmade, and I see rather convincing reviews that it might prove to be a nice pipe, but I was wondering what experience anyone has had with this brand, or at least good quality pearwood pipes?

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
We own two B&B Pears, one briar and one T. Polinski.

If you're a clincher you'll appreciate the Pear's light weight.
The stummel drilling was off-center on all four pipes in the exact same area.

Through the shank the holes are more towards the upper 11 o'clock area.

Though, the draft holes were drilled perfectly.
Roman is very nice and answers all questions quickly.

Shipping took just over two weeks for our order.
BampB_zpsnjbz2zem.jpg

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
I honestly can't tell a difference.
The two pears were bought to compliment our MMs as outdoor beaters.

We can drop them, run them over with the lawnmower... You get the idea; with no worries.

My better pipes, like Il Ceppos and Acortis, don't leave the inside of the house.
You might want to check out RC Sands or Mario Grandi pipes.

They hover in the same price range, and more care is taken in their manufacturing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a devotee of briar, but most of what I've heard about pear wood as a material is good. People seem to get good smoking out of them, and the prices are appealing. The only material other than briar and cob that I have is Mountain Laurel, but these pipes are a bit rare. A carver in my state makes some of them, along with briar, and does not sell online, only at the N.C. State Fair in October and the pipe show (TAPS) next month, April. I have the feeling that pear wood might not age as well as briar, over the ten year mark for example, but that may not be true.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I too was wondering about Pear wood. Mr. Brog has a neat looking pipe for around $20

Dublin Smoking Pipe - London No 19 - Pear Wood - Hand Made

http://astore.amazon.com/mrbrog00-20/detail/B007P6CNK2

For a beater car/outdoor pipe, I might give it a try for $20

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm a bit curious about the pear wood pipes also. I would also like to buy and make a pipe out of olive wood. I find the colour and grain of the olive wood to be very attractive. Good luck with the pear wood pipe should you decide to get one.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I myself am a devoted Briar smoker, so it's quite funny you say that! :D I had no idea it was a pearwood pipe when bidding, I was attempting to show my buddy that if you bid on a pipe, somebody will inevitably raise it at least a dollar in the last 30 seconds.. Sadly, nobody ever raised it, causing me to fork out 44 dollars! :lol:
Needless to say, the pipe should be in next week, and I'll possibly be selling it to a friend who's looking to kick the cig habit and get involved in the pipe hobby! We'll see how it goes :D

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I've never been able to find anything on what "B&B" stands for, as the most info I can find is that their supposedly handmade polish pipes. I'm curious to see the quality, and the pipe I acquired had quite a beautiful finish.
http://elenpipe.com/en/catalog-23/
this site is in russian, but if you translate it, it gives some info about the pipes (or snake-oil advertising, take it with a grain of salt)
This is one of the little tidbits of info on the site that my browser translated.
High-Level Masters make B & B pipes in Poland- That Allows you to Talk About A Decent quality of smoking Items, good design and excellent smoking properties. You can see photos to be sure.
In Most Cases, the Pipe is Made from the pear root and Heather (Bruyere ) . Materials, Which is USED in the creation of Pipe, ennobles the smoke flavor, making the smoking Process more elegant , pleasant and as convenient as Possible for others. By the way, the correct pipe smoking is a kind of exciting ritual smoothly flows into art.

Status
Not open for further replies.