PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Just got my Axis deer mount back from the taxidermist. I got this one last year in Sonora, Tx on a Rockey Mountain Elk Foundation auction hunt. It is 31" with a 18" spread.
img_0237-450x600.jpg

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks, brokenkrayon.
Thanks, troutface. It is on the larger side of Axis deer but my guide said no reason to score it. There was one taken on my same hunt that was number 11 in the world. This was a smaller sibling.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Very tasty. It is a very sweet meat. Not a lot of fat so cooking it has to be done carefully as all game animals. We mostly eat it as ground meat with a little tallow mixed in. Makes great tacos!!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Nice buck! I hunt outside Sonora but have yet to shoot any exotics there . It's funny how some low fence ranches not too far away from me are covered up in them!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Beautiful animal & the quality of the mount is evident! With an 11 taken on the same hunt it sounds like it was quite a trip!

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks guys. Our local taxidermist does a very good job. He is a bit slow though. It was a great hunt on an older ranch. The ranch had lots of character. Old water tanks built back in the 30s. Sad to hear it was just broken up by a family inheritance dispute. Went from several thousand acres to just a few hundred acres per parcel.
The deer was taken with a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester at 345 yards. My handloads 165 gr Nosler partition bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.