PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Feb 4, 2024
Dear pipe enthusiasts,

I have recently acquired a delicate new pipe that I hold dear to my heart. As an enjoyer of the ritual of smoking tobacco, I have a deep appreciation for the art of using a pipe and I am determined to care for my new piece with the utmost caution and care. However, I must admit that I am facing a dilemma. In my previous experiences, I have unfortunately burnt the bowl of an older pipe, resulting in a bitter and unpleasant taste. This is a mistake that I am determined to avoid at all costs with my new pipe.

My friends, I seek your wise counsel on how to avoid burning my pipe by any means necessary. I am willing to take any advice, no matter how simple or complex, to safeguard my delicate new piece.I implore you, my fellow pipe smokers, to share your wisdom and guidance with me. Let us work together to ensure that our pipes are treated with the utmost respect and care, and that we are able to enjoy the true essence of our chosen tobacco blends.

May the smoke be ever in your favor,

Aleister the Stormchaser

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Use a soft flame (no torch lighters) and smoke slow...the hotter you get the tobacco in your pipe the larger the ember you produce. Take things slow and you'll be fine.

Is the bowl a briar bowl or something else?

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Welcome from PA.

Don't freight train your pipe, instead sip slowly. You shouldn't be putting out thick plumes of smoke. It should be more like thin wisps. If you feel your briar pipe is too hot to hold, put it down and let it cool. Unless your previous pipe had thin walls, you might have been smoking too hot and ended up burning through the briar. Also, let the carbon cake build up some...it will help insulate the briar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By burn do you mean the rim or the chamber? Did you burn it when lightning or smoking? It's actually quite hard to burn a briar pipe.

Reactions: kcghost

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Use a soft flame (no torch lighters) and smoke slow...the hotter you get the tobacco in your pipe the larger the ember you produce. Take things slow and you'll be fine.
^^^^^ This

I've only had one pipe (a light coloured morta) develop a couple of burnout spots in the chamber - smoked the same way as all my other pipes
I put it down to a couple of "soft" spots in the wood
I applied a couple of layers of pipe mud (cigar ash + water). Allowed a few days to dry. Problem solved

Feb 4, 2024
Dear friends!
I honestly appriciate all your answears on the topic. I tried my new pipe, puffing it much slower, lighting more carefully, and in the safety of my tower where no wind would bother. It had a truly prodigious flavour! I would love to hear some wise advice on the topic of saving the pipe I managed to burn earlier. Smoke well, drink well and march through the thick fog in the night, dont let the wolves lurking in the woods bother you no more!
Your most observant apprentice,
Aleister the Stormchaser