PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Anyone out there with experience with the Author style pipe? It's origins and unusual name? I keep running into them on sites and find them strangely attractive, but I dislike purchasing pipes that I put up for sale a week later. Why is the pipe shaped like a Prince on steroids? (I bet there's no heating problem with this fellow.) What are your thoughts in general. I'm actually reaching the point where I want to get one. Here is is, a basic one from Savinellii:

002-033-25428.jpg

Tell me what you think. Seems to be a popular style, though I haven't seen anyone actually smoking one.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I have two savinelli authors. Nice big bowl. They smoke great but don't expect to clench them very easily.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have a Savinelli Trevi and it smokes great, I love it. It's not really good for clenching IMO, due to the thickly tapered stem, but I'm not usually a clencher either.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
OK, then! Especially you, Nate. I guess I will get that Author after all, even though I was wondering about clenching--not a big issue, since I often read and write while smoking a churchwarden.

Speaking of churchwardens (I should do a shout-out tor Peterson later in a separate post), when I accedentally ruined a gorgeous gray finish on a new one, Peterson graciously volunteered to refinish the stummel. The Gray finish is truly one of the best finishing jobs I've ever seen in any pipe, and I managed to ruin it by accidently spilling some acrylic medium on it--the finish resisted everything I could throw at it to remove the acrylic droplets, including a special acrylic solvent, which demonstrates how sturdy the Peterson finishes are--no shedding like some well known brands I could mention.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I actually clench mine and I'm not at clencher, so it is possible. Mine are older punto estates though with vulcanite, but I think I clenched my Tundra 320 too when I had that years ago. Plus, the pipes are stubby so that helps. Greatly tapered stems seem to be my thing for clenching.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a Ryan Alden author that's a beautiful blast, and I love the feel, shape and smoking characteristics. I can clench it, but seldom do.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have two KS 320s and mine are clenchers. I recommend the Gauis line and if you want to go cheap, the unfinished Savinelli line. They smoke very well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My LHS #266 is an Author variation. The bowl and shank nice and thick, the continued bend offsetting the weight in your maw sufficiently to facilitate lighting and moderate clenching. Smokes like a champ every time.

My Kaywoodie Drinkless #13B is a smaller 'cousin'. I tend to bypass most of my Kaywoodie pipes.

Funny how you can develop prejudice toward a brand because of one or two experiences.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Sav author is popular and gets quite a bit of praise on Forums. It is heavy, hence the question about clenching. Other authors with equal size bowls are not so heavy. I have a Luciano smooth author and a Peterson rusticated author, both fairly large-bowled but not as heavy as the Sav that I prefer. I have a number of Savs, but not the author, for just that reason.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have a pair of Rossi 8320 Authors, one smooth and one rusticated. I did manage to blister the finish on the smooth one by smoking too quickly in a high wind - looks like the bottom of the chamber forms a line of thin briar, as the blisters follow the curve of the pipe as if some sort of reverse lathe had lined them up... Ah well - lesson learned. And at the price I paid, a future restoration/refinishing project is not a bad thing to have around the house.
As noted, they clench surprisingly well, which is probably why I didn't notice the pipe overheating. :oops:
I've got sizable hands (for those of you who play piano, I can hit an octave + a third easily, a fourth if I stretch), and the 320 shape is very comfortable in the hand as well as the jaw. I didn't initially like the look of rustication when I took up the pipe, but it's grown on me with this model. Very interesting texture when holding the pipe.
Highly recommended. Will be purchasing more of these in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.