PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I always wish Peterson well, loving their pipe designs and history, but I really hope Laudisi can help them turn around some quality control issues in their manufacturing. I have an Irish Harp 80s that I want to love, since I dig the shape so much, but it's just an OK finished pipe (and smoker, for that matter).

Reactions: danimalia

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I always wish Peterson well, loving their pipe designs and history, but I really hope Laudisi can help them turn around some quality control issues in their manufacturing. I have an Irish Harp 80s that I want to love, since I dig the shape so much, but it's just an OK finished pipe (and smoker, for that matter).
I think there have been reports of improved QC lately.I personally didnt get the negativity but I know others have had problems.
The irish harp is a realitively low grade and therefore probably doesnt have lots of time spent on it compared with a higher grade pipe.
The higher grade pipes have generally received better comments over the years than the cheaper ones ,more expensive = more man hours payable to produce said pipe

Reactions: Backwoods Briar

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I think there have been reports of improved QC lately.I personally didnt get the negativity but I know others have had problems.
The irish harp is a realitively low grade and therefore probably doesnt have lots of time spent on it compared with a higher grade pipe.
The higher grade pipes have generally received better comments over the years than the cheaper ones ,more expensive = more man hours payable to produce said pipe
I’m simply of the opinion that good basic proficiency ought to be the starting point for any quality manufacturer. The higher grades of briar, sterling silver accents, higher grades of finish, etc., ought to command a higher price - but basic functionality and engineering ought to be the starting point, whether the pipe is $150 or 4 times that. A good smoker should be the beginning point, and I think Peterson has been guilty of some problems delivering that, even with some of its higher-priced pipes. The quality should guarantee the brand, not vice versa.

Apr 26, 2020
Northern California
I’m simply of the opinion that good basic proficiency ought to be the starting point for any quality manufacturer. The higher grades of briar, sterling silver accents, higher grades of finish, etc., ought to command a higher price - but basic functionality and engineering ought to be the starting point, whether the pipe is $150 or 4 times that. A good smoker should be the beginning point, and I think Peterson has been guilty of some problems delivering that, even with some of its higher-priced pipes. The quality should guarantee the brand, not vice versa.
well said!

Reactions: marlinspike

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
While any improvement on their site is welcome, I see you cant order tobacco online. Crazy that if you live in the countryside you would still need to travel to the capital to buy pipe tobacco.

Reactions: cornedbeef