Attention Canadians, Ontario Specifically...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello, I am back down in New Zealand now, which is home for me, but i did a few years in Canada and i keep coming across people on this forum talking about living in Toronto and paying excessive amounts for tobacco, why are you not accessing the reserve? its tax free! you can fill the car up with gas when you get there, that's tax free too! I don't remember a whole lot of prices, but the place i go to when visiting the in-laws was in Hagersville, Ontario i think it was called the 'cigar and pipe emporium', they had the Brigham's range for bulk, and not a huge variety but still something to choose from.

I know captain black is just another drugstore blend, but just for price comparison, because I remember that one specifically, the 50g pouch was $10...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Yep, you get reduced rates as you don't get the double taxation, but gas and tobacco are definitely not tax free. $16 for a pouch of Amphora Red on the reserve for me, way cheaper than in my B&M but still has some tax on that.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Not sure how it is in the East, but at least here in Alberta, the reserves only deal in cigarettes. And if they did have any pipe tobacco or cigars, I think they would be of the OTC kind and not much of a selection.
Now, if I can find a way for my First Nation's friend to be able to order online for me a receive the tobacco tax free, then I would be a very happy camper :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The reserve I go to (Curve Lake) in the Kawartha area of Ontario has lots of Peterson tins as well as several different pouches like Amphora or David's Blend or some MacBaren blends. At $16 per pouch, some are $12, its a significant savings over the $25 to $35 for a tin at the local B&M.

Status
Not open for further replies.