PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Ok, so I'm not sure who else has tried this tobacco but it is.... Odd. Very very odd. I felt like I was smoking old lady perfume if I am to be honest. It has so much flavor added to the leaf that it's hard to distinguish what is what. Although for the amount of flavor pumped into this flake it still smoked fairly cool and didn't really bite at all. There are so many great reviews about this stuff though I am kind of shocked.
Who else has tried this? Your thoughts?

rockytopva

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
Perfume, soap...soap, perfume. I couldn't hack it and promptly traded my tin. Luckily he says he really likes it. Just not my thing and it really ghosted my pipe too.
Did I mention soap and perfume?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I first smoked this blend about 4 months ago, and honestly didn't know what to think. Yes, grandma's perfume, soap, dried flowers, etc. My wife tried it and really liked it! I'm still on the fence even after smoking about an ounce of it. I think there are some Lakeland styles I like better, like Glengarry Flake, but I always come back to Ennerdale once in a while to see if I feel differently about it. Sometimes I like it, other times, I'm sorry I even loaded the bowl. Maybe you have to eat sardines or kippers, or something before smoking it to appreciate the flavor. Anybody ever add latakia to it? Wheee! :crazy:

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
This is the classic Kendal style aroma, like sticking your head into an old lady's handbag. Kendal dry snuff is even more intense due to the way it's used.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
After participating in the box pass, I am tempted to hold a grudge on this flake forever as it ghosted many blends in the box (zip lock baggies were no obstacle for this one.
I order it in bulk and am careful not to order anything else in bulk at the same time.
(I think it's a delightful blend a couple of times per week, but it took my wife a long time to get used to it -- she complained about "that perfume-y tobacco" for months. This is the same woman who doesn't even raise an eyebrow at Ten Russians.)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Purchased a tin a few months ago simply out of curiosity. Upon opening the tin I was knocked over by the intense smell of some cheap perfume and soap. I figured there was no way on earth that it could possibly taste as it smelled as why then would anyone smoke this concoction if it did. Well... it did! Thankfully I had enough sense to smoke it in one of my cobs. I could only handle a half bowl before I placed the pipe down and then immediately rinsed out my mouth with mouthwash. The cob was ghosted with the horrid taste, but after a few bowls of other blends it thankfully went away. Luckily I was able to sell it to someone who likes it rather than throwing it away. Hey... at least I gave it a try but NEVER again.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It's a perfumed VA-Bur. Heavily perfumed, may I add. Makes for some severe tongue burn if you get carried away with enjoying the scent too much. Has a nice room note, if you enjoy that particular smell, of course.

Smoking some right now.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I actually enjoy it - but probably only smoke 3-4 bowls of it a year. The underlying tobacco is excellent and the flavoring is extremely complex and in your face. The smoke has a creamy quality to me as well in terms of mouth feel. It's not something that I could smoke frequently but every 3-4 months I will get the urge for something "different".
That said, I absolutely love both Kendal Flake and Glengarry Flake from G&H and smoke both regularly.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Obviously there's enough people alive that do like it since it's still around but I agree it's like granny left her briches drawer open and spilled her face powder into it. I once bought a Dunhill estate that must have had nothing but the stuff smoked in it and I never did exorcise the ghost. It became someone else's chore.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Smoked some years ago and didn't care for it. I should try it again now that I am more "experienced". HAH!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Love that stuff and buy it 500 grams at a time. One of the all time Lakeland Classics. And yes, only certain pipes are dedicated to this flake.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I adore Ennerdale (its a desert island blend to me), which surprised me because I tend to gravitate toward Balkans or perique-drenched blends.
As most everyone has noted, it is heavily sauced, to the degree that it seems to shock some guys. Also, it certainly has a …. well, distinctive flavor and aroma. I truly don't understand why so many smokers associate it with "granny's britches" or perfume. I get a little bit of citrus, a little bit of almond, a lot of incense and a tremendous amount of floral/herbal. I guess some of the floral notes are why so many guys describe it as soap or perfume, although when I think of bathroom products used by women I tend to think of stuff like vanilla, strawberry, cocoa butter, etc. To each their own!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have smoked it once but i still need to sit downs and properly smoke it and review it so i have my opinions of the blend down on paper. I can only remember the soapy/floral taste but i dont remember hating it or else i wouldn't still have some in the cellar.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have spent the weekend sampling this(thanks Smokey), and count me in as a fan. I have a Stanwell bent acorn I dedicated to these Lakeland blends. I still think my favorite is Rum flake though.

Status
Not open for further replies.