PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
With one of my orders last month from a large tobacco mail-order, I got a small packet of Mac Baren Modern Virginia.
Having a somewhat solitary night of bumbling around doing all the odds 'n' ends jobs that crop up at the end of a weekend, I figured what the heck and loaded a bowl. The description said something about Virginia and a fruity topping. I should have known that I had opened the Book of the Dead.
Match hovering over the bowl, I inhaled gently and lowered the flame. This tobacco blend is drier than the average aromatic. It comes as an elegant mass of Virginia ribbon with darker bits here and there, but the top note gave little warning of the 400 ft tall pineapple that was now assaulting my palate and nostrils! And, as I stared into into the night, also assaulting the world around me. My ears stretched to catch the sound of rending metal and collapsing stone as the giant fruity golem smashed its way through humanity.
Nervously, I gave the pipe another gentle draw. A blast of slightly soapy pineapple flavor flared into my mouth. This emboldened the monster. I could see it now, towering over the trees, staggering toward me with the zombie-like walk of the maniacal and damned. Distant sirens and screams wafted in with the cool night air, and I knew it would not be long before the Army appeared to slay this hellion beast from regions beyond.
Pineapple-scented smoke -- potpourri for men, some say, but now a harbinger of Death -- floated around my head.
"I have made a grave mistake," I thought, but there was nothing left to do but try to burn out the beast. The second burst carried a fair amount of fruity doom, but the tobacco started peeking through. The threat lessened. The giant pineapple looming over civilization seemed to fade, like a ghost backing into a wall.
"That's low key for an aromatic," I muttered, and contemplated the pipe. The next puff rewarded with even more tobacco flavor as the pineapple retreated. People breathed easily again. The sounds of normal human activity resumed and the birds came out again. Doom was averted for yet another day.
Summary: this is a nice blend, quality tobacco that takes up most of the flavor, with an initial hit of pineapple topping that needs to be banished back to the abyss from which it originated. A few full puffs will do that, and while there is only as much nicotine in this blend as one can get from reading about a pipe being smoked in a magazine article, it provided a gentle way to finish a quiet Sunday night.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Did it smoke down to a fine white ash, with no re-lights?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I tried it once and can't remember what it tasted like but I know I didn't care for it at all.I placed it into the very back of the cabinet. After this review I'll have to try it again.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Maybe that's the stuff they put in them little bags to hang on your rear view mirror?
Only they would call it "tropical"...
Thanks for the review.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Tried this again after four months 'I'll stick with my original impression. I find it harsh and easy to bite. While I don't get an overly fruity/pineapple taste there is an enjoyable taste hiding in the background, way in the background.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The only MacBaren product I have tried is their Navy Flake. It was not the worst tobacco I have ever smoked, but I liked every other iteration of a navy flake I've tried much more. I recall thinking, "This blend alone could be how MacBaren got the MacBitey's reputation". It did not leave me with an urge to sample other products in their lineup. From the tone of the discussion, I don't think I'll bother trying this one.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I found this analysis by G.L. Pease to be on point:
http://cigarchronicles.com/up-in-smoke/blasting-the-past/
Sometimes, consumer markets reduce themselves to every company chasing a number of different Holy Grails, and in the process, they miss out on what makes the product great in the first place...

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I got the same deal on a recent order and I wish to thank you. I can now just chunk the sample and not be bothered. You saved my life from the deadly fruit. The woman on the radio show ads made it seem so wonderful in a much less obnoxious way than the Molte Dolce ad woman.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I tried the pouch sample version a few weeks back and was very underwhelmed. A little fruity up front but the show ended quickly for me. I too found it a bit bitey.
The review was great and it just proves we are all different and that taste varies widely, it is almost enough to make me want to give it another go around.

Jun 4, 2014
I cracked my sample pouch open a few months ago. While I got some fruit notes, I can't say I remember tasting pineapple. I found the blend to be one dimensional and as settersbrace commented bitey. I jared the rest, maybe age has improved it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe it is apricot. I will find out later tonight. Or maybe not, if it is too cryptic. It has been fun exploring this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.