PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Today is the first Sunday that alcohol can legally be sold in metro Atlanta areas. The new laws will take until March to completely roll out, but it's the beginning of the end of the Civil War blue laws. Here's to hoping that common sense prevails in other areas of legislation!

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I'm just waiting for it to happen IN the city of Atlanta. I'm still waiting here.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I'm so glad the Branch passed this. I was afraid it would fail in Hall Co but I was pleasantly surprised.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Bob, my problem with the law was that you can get legally drunk at a bar and drive home but you couldn't buy alcohol, take it home, and get tipsy safely. Blue Laws were created to punish the South for seceding over 100 years ago.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Well, I'll amend my statement due to clarity issues. After the war, the South's congress was completely dissolved and "Radical Republican Reconstructionists" we're able to wrest power away from the more moderate Restorationists. Part of the new government believed strongly in hobbling the local economy, which included implementing Blue Laws in areas where distilleries were a huge revenue stream for local farmers who had been banned from farming for 4 years. Many of those laws, even in non-religious areas still exist.
http://www.philwrites.com/H_reconstruction.htm
Make more sense? This is a topic that has been drilled into me since Kindergarten. ;)

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Also, this is how NASCAR came into being. Rum runners in souped up hoopties would race their cars meant for smuggling on dirt tracks. It became so much fun that the sport evolved from it. :D

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
here in ashe county nc you can't buy alcohol untill 12:00 pm on sunday, i guess thats so you don't go to church tipsy?

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Yeah, in Hall Co, it's rare to find anything other than grocery stores and gas stations open before noon. Not too long ago, most places weren't even open on Sunday.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great news Cyndi!!
Being from NY I became all too familiar with the Blue Laws last Super Bowl Sunday when I was on business and flew into ATL early so I could get settled into my hotel with some food and beer and be ready to go.... Only to find out at the local package store that I could not buy any beer!!
Since I was staying near the airport I figured at least I could get some food so I stopped into my favorite seafood restaurant/bar (walking distance from hotel and I am sure the ATL locals know the place... :? )
I found out what the deal was from the bartender and since she was recently from Chicago she understood how I felt!! I mean it was Super Bowl Sunday!! It would be unAmerican not to have a beer in my hand during the game!! Over the course of my meal I mentioned how nice it would be to get 3-4 bottles of beer in one of those to-go dinner containers... I told her that no one would be any wiser that it wasn't SOLID nourishment......
When I cashed out she brought me my to-go bag and I was all set!!!
Good to know that it will be easier next time!! LOL

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
LOL, we don't need another war. The recent influx of Yankees is proving we won without ever fighting. I swear all of Dayton, OH now lives in ATL. 8)

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
The blue laws in Indiana are more strict than Georgia, has nothing to do with the civil war though. Alcohol was illegal not that long ago.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Alabama has some insane laws left over from the ABC. Some crazy Baptist that once had a lot of power in Alabama created and became the head dragon with the Alabama Board of Control. Bars, State stores, even pool halls had to paint over their windows with dark green. Many of those laws are still on the books but not enforced. Some are still enforced, depending on where you are.
All the dry counties created massive amounts of corruption that made rich men of many sheriffs and other county officials. Like Shelby county, the wettest dry county in the State. :)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
all forms of prohibition do not work, have never worked, and will never work in the future.
Inanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ( our government explained ) :roll:

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Colorado Just allowed the sale of booze on Sunday a year or so back but made it voluntary for the store Owners. But we still cant buy a car on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.