PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
The first pipe that I smoked was when I was 17. Did not really enjoy it but then again I really didn't have too much knowledge about it and I didn't know there were so many tobacco choices.

Now I am 18 and I have found that I like it very much (thanks to the help I have received on this forum)!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
17, last year of prep school. Even then, in 1986, cigars were too expensive. Never stopped, didn't even consider it.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i was ten years old--made my own cobs along with several of my friends--bought my first

briar at age 14--
in 1954, when i was ten, this country was a 'different' world

iantimothy

Lurker
Apr 11, 2012
My father smoked a pipe and he used to let me have the occasional puff when I was 12-13..at school Father Canon Newt use to smoke Three Nun's !! I was hooked I purchased my first pipe around 15-16 (40 years ago) my favourite tobacco then was whisky flake - St julian's - and I used to steal my father's Balkan Sob..

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
14 or 15. Started with one of my dad's neglected briars, then moved up to a Medico, which I smoked and deeply enjoyed on the sly until I was about 17. I then discovered tobacconists and their proprietary blends, as well as decent-quality but inexpensive briars, which I smoked in relative secrecy until the summer before college. With the relative freedom that most freshmen enjoy, I became a pretty frequent pipe smoker and converted a few of my college pals.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I was about 6 and my Grandpa said,"Hey, Ken! Hand me my pipe!" So I picked it up and handed it to him. 8O
I started smoking a pipe at 53.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
16 mostly because my cheap job couldn't keep up with my cigar hobby. Plus pipes look pretty damn badass XD

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I was about 20 on a ship in Australia saw this good looking pipe in the window of a shop in Adelaide,that was in 1954 and smoked a pipe(with the odd ciggy until I stopped them in 1965)until then on and still puffin. :puffpipe:

Looks like I have been puffing away for 58yrs. How time flies when your enjoying yourself :rofl:

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
15. I bought it at the local hardware. Some argosy black to go with it.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I was 17... but I had considered it at a much younger age... :puffy:
DriveitHomeEnrollmentFargoGlassPearsons.jpg

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
50!

It takes maturity to appreciate and savor a good pipe and tobacco, but don't worry you'll get there kids.
:nana:

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
If you're talking tobacco, 14.
Before that friends and I used to make pipes out of wood and stuff them with sage or sweetgrass because we heard that's what the Indians would smoke. One of us would try to inhale but would end up coughing our lungs up.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I was probably 21 or 22 in college, but soon stopped. I didn't start back until 36. Though at age 8/9 I was already trying to make corncob pipes with cobs from the garden - just didn't have tobacco. I probably would have tried to smoke my Dad's chewing tobacco if I would have gotten the chance. Ha. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.