PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

charriga

Lurker
Feb 27, 2023
I have one pipe (a Dr. Grabow) that has developed an ashy taste.
I’ve used the hot water rinse and cleaned the mortise with Qtips . Unlike the other pipes I’ve rinsed, this one still has a dark coating on the bowl after I wipe it out. Do I try wiping it out with alcohol next, or something else? The stem is black plastic. I can taste it if I draw on the pipe before filling and through as much as I can stand of the bowl.
It was a cheap pipe, but it fits well in my hand (it’s tiny), so I’d like to save it if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: kg.legat0

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The black in the bowl is carbon build up and it's a good thing, that shouldn't give you an ashy taste, you might be packing the bowl too much and pulling a train on it and smoking too fast. Is the ashy taste right away from the start, did you clean out the stem... pipe cleaners with a little alcohol or grain alcohol on them do wonders.

Do your other pipes have an ashy taste?

I'd put money on cleaning the stem good with alcohol if not.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
1) Clean out the shank with alcohol soaked cleaners
2) Stuff an alcohol soaked cleaner in the shank
3) Stuff the bowl with a cotton ball
4) Fill bowl with alcohol. Be careful not to get alcohol on the outside of the bowl or it will strip the stain
5) Leave overnight
6) Clean the stem with pipe cleaners and liquid soap, NOT alcohol
you dont run a pipe clean with a little alcohol through the stem?

charriga

Lurker
Feb 27, 2023
🤣 I pulled them stem off and sucked through it—forgetting to run a pipe cleaner first. Talk about gag a maggot 🤮

So I went ahead and did the hot water flush (I’ve been doing it after each bowl—is that too often?)
There’s still a hint in the stem. I’ll clean it again with dawn. The bowl tastes Like wet wood right now, but the ash taste is gone. I’ll check it again after it rests and try the alcohol with a cotton ball if it’s still bad in the morning.

This is a tiny pipe. I usually pack with my index finger, but have to use my little finger on this one. This means it’s harder for me to wipe out after I rinse it. It also means a poor pack is a good possibility. It makes sense that I should expect less smoke from this, so I will make a point of drawing more lightly on it.

I’m missing something on cleaning this one. Even after pipe cleaners, I got debris/fuzz when I blew through it. It’s the only pipe I’ve got that has a metal piece coming out of the stem. I found crud there even after washing, so I used an old toothbrush on it this time.

To double check how I’m cleaning.
1. Remove and rinse stem, dry with pipe cleaner.
2. Run hot/warm water through the bowl and mortise. Use a Qtip on the mortise and a twisted paper towel in the bowl (I can’t wrap my finger and rub like I do the rest).
3. Let it sit for a while. Put the stem back in. Wait at least 24 hours before using it again.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them one at a time till it’s right. 😀

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
🤣 I pulled them stem off and sucked through it—forgetting to run a pipe cleaner first. Talk about gag a maggot 🤮

I’m missing something on cleaning this one. Even after pipe cleaners, I got debris/fuzz when I blew through it. It’s the only pipe I’ve got that has a metal piece coming out of the stem. I found crud there even after washing, so I used an old toothbrush on it this time.
A photo of the stem + metal piece will be most helpful
It sounds like a (metal) stinger - supposedly helps to give a drier, cooler smoke.

But more likely a repository of :poop: if not kept clean.

Most stingers can be removed easily
Not having the stinger in place is not a problem.
I routinely remove all stingers from my pipes, if they are present

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A flashlight revealed some yuck inside the metal part where it meets the plastic on the inside. I think it’s fixed.

Thanks for the help.View attachment 210036
That looks like a metal tenon rather than a stinger

Use some small drill bits or jewellers screwdrivers and gently team out all the goo.
Hot water rinse and use bristle cleaners

And LOTS of patience.

You will be rewarded with nice clean smokes after all that labour

Good luck

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012

So I went ahead and did the hot water flush (I’ve been doing it after each bowl—is that too often?)
There’s still a hint in the stem. I’ll clean it again with dawn. The bowl tastes Like wet wood right now, but the ash taste is gone. I’ll check it again after it rests and try the alcohol with a cotton ball if it’s still bad in the morning.

This is a tiny pipe. I usually pack with my index finger, but have to use my little finger on this one. This means it’s harder for me to wipe out after I rinse it. It also means a poor pack is a good possibility. It makes sense that I should expect less smoke from this, so I will make a point of drawing more lightly on it.

To double check how I’m cleaning.
1. Remove and rinse stem, dry with pipe cleaner.
2. Run hot/warm water through the bowl and mortise. Use a Qtip on the mortise and a twisted paper towel in the bowl (I can’t wrap my finger and rub like I do the rest).
3. Let it sit for a while. Put the stem back in. Wait at least 24 hours before using it again.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them one at a time till it’s right. 😀
I know there are some here who feel differently, but I would never recommend running water through the bowl of a pipe. Even a Dr. Grabow with internal plumbing. (Sorry: Joke.) Water doesn’t belong anywhere near a pipe. And the kind of extensive alcohol cleaning being recommended is for either a one-time process to revive a pipe that’s gone bad OR for use in a semi-annual or annual (depending on how often that pipe gets smoked) deep cleaning. It should not be an after-every-bowl kind of thing. For that, just run a pipe cleaner through, fold it in half to swab out the bowl, then move on.

I rinse my pipes every evening, have been for years now. And, I have some very nice pipes. It has been the best thing ever. There is absolutely nothing bad that can happen, unless you use boiling hot water on an old vulcanite stem... just don't do that.
But, my pipes all smell fresh, and taste great.
But, if someone doesn't want to use water, that's fine with me. But many forum members here do it, and have been doing it for years. So, there is nothing wrong with it.