New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
Whenever I try digging the ash out of my pipe, it goes out and I have to relight. Any tips??

I tend to pack dense with the three layer method, and I don’t tamp much. Maybe I’m packing too dense, but I don’t usually need any tamping.

Since the pipe is gonna go out anyway, at the last 1/4 bowl when I have to do my first relight: I just blow gently so only the fine ash comes out, then light and enjoy what remains. Good enough but messy

I do know there are people that do slow smoking competitions that must have better methods to get the ash out. Share your wisdom and help me out. ?
I didn't even know "getting the ash out" was a thing in pipe-smoking. I've never done it.

The thing about tobacco ash is that it crushes down to an extremely small volume. Even an entire cigar barely makes a teaspoon of ash if you crush it all down (I discovered this recently making pipe mud).

I think your problem is the "I don't tamp much" bit. I think it's best to limit tamping, but certainly not eliminate it. If my pipe goes out, I just tamp down the ash gently and relight. Never had a problem.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Just learn to "codger" load and enjoy your bowl. Stick your pipe in the pouch, load, light and enjoy. There's no point in over complicating what should be an easy, enjoyable experience. Some people are wired for "complicated" though. So, whatever floats your boat and gets you a decent smoking experience.

I think Warren’s suggestion of “codger” loading is a very wise one. At least from the perspective of ENJOYMENT, I think pipe smoking is at its best when the actions of smoking are comfortable, simple, easy, and not filled with “rules” and “regulations”.

While I recognize some folks LIKE very precise, exact, detailed rules…. even to the point where these rules end up being rather fussy and finicky patterns of behavior….. I tend to MUCH prefer my pipe smoking to be simple…. what feels comfortable and enjoyable in the moment.

My work is all about precision and detail all day long. I like very much that my pipe smoking IS NOT precise or detailed…. I have always “codger loaded” my pipes, and have always smoked them in a casual, almost absent-minded fashion…. because in doing so (at least for me) this casualness is what makes pipe smoking enjoyable…. it doesn’t involve a helluva lot of thinking, planning nor fussing. That it is EASY is a large part of its enjoyment for me.

So, I guess I fall into the “Just smoke the damn pipe camp.” ?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I usually only dump the ash if relights are hindered by the accumulation of ash. I only dump ash when the pipe has already gone out.

I use the "KFC" method for dealing with ash.

Imagine you are settling down for a fine gourmet meal that includes KFC mashed potatoes and gravy.

When you slowly plunge the plastic spork into the gravy, there is an ever so light resistance. When you plunge deeper, you eventually encounter more resistance from the potatoes.

In pipe parlance, the ash is the gravy and the remaining tobacco is the mashed potatoes.

You don't want to disturb the potatoes, just gently loosen the gravy and then tip it out of the pipe.

If you hit that 2nd level of resistance, you've dug too deep and are now disturbing the tobacco.

If you've not maintained an even burn across the whole surface of the bowl, you may find a "hole" or "depression" in the center of the remaining tobacco after dumping the ash.

If this occurs, this is the one time you may want to "rebalance" the remaining tobacco. Gently break up the un-burnt high spots and then re-level the bowl with a gentle tamp or two.

View attachment 151381

View attachment 151380
Thanks, now I'm hungry......

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I just watched these three videos. For heaven's sake, in the time he takes to load his pipe I could finish 3 bowls and eat a cow! puffy
Yikes, just watched as much of those videos as I could take. I am sure that he's a good guy, however talk about over thinking something that is simply not that complicated.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Go gently around the edge of the bowl with a pick, you know the Czech tool thing. That loosens the ashes. Just dump the loosened up ashes. If you dig, there's chance of putting out the ember.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don't mean to avoid tamping, but don't really know when it is needed.

I’ve always assumed, we tamp because the tabac is to loose, hard to light, doesn’t stay lit, or stay evenly lit, etc...

Just don’t press, only use the weight of the tool, like a Czech tool to do the pressing. If you press down, then you might pack to tight. And if you press down, and it seems to smoke better, then practice adjust your packing method(s) you use.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
There's a old saying about packing your pipe. I goes like this. "First, pack with the hand of a child, then with the hand of a woman and finally with the hand of a man." puffy