PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
but in this case I am convinced that Ivory-bills are extinct.
I recently saw something about a possible sighting in Arkansas? I think. When searching recently, they were doing that whole audio recording thing too. Could still be a few out there, One never knows for sure until they actually get one photographed or filmed.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I recently saw something about a possible sighting in Arkansas? I think. When searching recently, they were doing that whole audio recording thing too. Could still be a few out there, One never knows for sure until they actually get one photographed or filmed.
You sure this wasn't about a samsquanch?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Seldom, I obviously don't know as much about the Ivory Billed as you, but I've spent a lot of time driving the region around Brinkley, Hazen, West Helena and Stuttgart. I think you're downplaying the immense tracts of inaccessible swamp and floodland between the rivers there. Now *suitable* habit may be a different thing then available habitat but I really wouldn't be surprised if they found bigfoot in those swamps. I wasn't really surprised when they announced the Ivory Billed Woodpecker thing either, but you're right the whole issue is shrouded in mystery and it very well could all be a misunderstanding.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Recently was 14 years ago and I was on that search team. Again, hard to prove absence, but in this case I am convinced.
I think you're downplaying the immense tracts of inaccessible swamp and floodland between the rivers there.
Immense tracts of inaccessible is somewhat of an overstatement in my view. In fairness I had worked for years in bush Alaska (one of the wildlife refuges I worked in is more than half the size of Arkansas), and had just come from my job in Glacier National Park Montana. My sense of immense is different. The vast majority of what you are describing is composed of very young trees. Ivory-bills lived in big tracts of very large old trees. That sort of habitat is gone. Only very narrow strips remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.