PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I heard that Country Squire had a close copy of FM. I guess that will be as close as I can get to trying it.
I'm interested in this review to consider before even trying their version.

You can get the original FM fairly easily. It’s nowhere close the the whale I thought it was going to be. And usually it isn’t priced prohibitively.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I heard that Country Squire had a close copy of FM. I guess that will be as close as I can get to trying it.
I'm interested in this review to consider before even trying their version.

That might be Shepherd's Pie. I don't know how it fares as a match, but it's an excellent blend in its own right. I'm finishing up my first 8 oz now, and I'll definitely be ordering more.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
That might be Shepherd's Pie. I don't know how it fares as a match, but it's an excellent blend in its own right. I'm finishing up my first 8 oz now, and I'll definitely be ordering more.
That's the one. Are there any other blends that are close? My big mystery about FMs is that I heard they had a vinegar\ketchup deal going on. Is that a thing with Shepherds Pie?

Reactions: Magpiety

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@BarrelProof I hate hype with anything. It just ruins things for me. Don't tell me how great the song is and how much I am going to love it just play it for me. The expectations always kill it. Seriously some of the unicorn blends (sadly they don't even use real unicorn, it's just regular horse meat anyways) I won't try because they've been so built up that unless I have to change my pants afterwards I'll think "it's not bad, but not life changing" which that's is a lot of heavy lifting for a pipe tobacco blend.

Reactions: strave19
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’m not sandbagging, it’s just that (and I struggle to admit this) this blend really didn’t live up to the hype for me, at all. I want to spend a little more time with it before I post what I’ve written to make sure I truly feel like saying what I’ve said...

Most hyped blends don't live up to their hype because they're over hyped. I personally found FM to be an entry level English blend that was good but not great or memorable. To each their own.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Frog Morton was one of the best blends ever created. Get every can you can because their is not any more.
Ditto.

From my FM notes:

"A hard-candied, boozy (much lighter than FM Cellar) pipe tobacco with just the right balance of smokey Latakia and tangy Virginia...fantastic"

Reactions: kcghost

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just received my FM 2017 tin today, I was fortunate, it wasn’t expensive, but I only purchased one tin.

I haven’t opened it yet, not sure when, I have bought a heap load of tins in the past two weeks, so many I’ve lost count... LOL

Could be Smokers Stress to much stress and anticipation/excitement going on. As mentioned, best to also put it away and come back another Happy Day!

Happy Puffin! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.