PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thinking of getting some Artisans Blend but I haven't tried it yet. I'm wondering how it compares to HH Latakia Flake and Nightcap. I've had HH latakia flake. I have some nightcap on hand but haven't smoked it yet.

Most English blends with latakia taste very similar to me and I'm wondering if Artisans is nuanced enough to taste different than the rest.

thanks

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I haven't had the HH Latakia Flake.

Between the Nightcap and Artisan's, they're similar enough that I'm happy with either. I think the only reason the Nightcap was ever really discussed at length was because it was a dunhill product that was discontinued. I have about 8 tins of the Nightcap and won't be buying anymore of it. I have 15 tins of the Artisan's and will buy more if I start to run low.

That being said, if Artisan's left the market I actually would buy more of the Nightcap since I like the style of the two.

Neither of them are worth extra money IMO, even with a little age on them.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I should also say, I recommend trying both Nightcap and Artisan's to see if you happen to like one more than the other. They're similar enough, and in a vein similar to Embers, that I'm not fanatical enough to I can really find a big difference.

Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow Latakia flake tastes more like latakia then most English blends do. Like all the other stuff in it is only there to effect the latakia taste.
That's all I taste in them anymore. The likes of Penzance and Pirate Kake are exactly the same.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
For me, Artisan's was a bit too much, love Nightcap though. I would suggest Ten Russians over Artisans.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thinking of getting some Artisans Blend but I haven't tried it yet. I'm wondering how it compares to HH Latakia Flake and Nightcap. I've had HH latakia flake. I have some nightcap on hand but haven't smoked it yet.

Most English blends with latakia taste very similar to me and I'm wondering if Artisans is nuanced enough to taste different than the rest.

thanks

Doesn't compare to Latakia Flake in the last. Lots of similarities to Nightcap.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
To me, Artisan's Blend has more complexity than Night Cap. Little smoother also. They are not exactly same. There was a lot of talk about Night Cap when Dunhill was going away. Lot of people suggested AB, but good enough people found it different. I think NC is just loved since it's been around so long and smoked by many. Also heard that currently available NC is not as good as one made by previous shops. But, I wouldn't know that.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Artisan's Blend is a personal favorite. I find it more complex than Nightcap. Nightcap isn't bad, but I'd take My Mix 965 over it any day. I cellar both Artisan's and 965.

While, to me, latakia blends can taste vastly different, latakia flakes and Balkan Flakes, I just don't enjoy. They're too homogenized in flavor, IMO. I prefer to get hints of all of the actors in a blend, front liners as well as supporting roles. This winter, I've had three tins of English and Balkans going at a time, and I enjoy the differences in flavors.

I do pick up differences between NightCap and Artisan, but they are definitely in the same genre.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Artisan’s Blend and HH Latakia Flake are two of my most favorite blends. I find Artisan’s to be much richer, smokier, and meatier than HH Latakia Flake. The HH flake has a certain buttery quality that I’ve never found in any other blend, and I think it’s exquisite. HH Latakia Flake tastes a bit more complex to me, Artisan’s is more of a straightforward powerhouse.

Bigdadz

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Montreal
I tried artisans blend several years ago and was thoroughly disappointed. It tasted cased to me, like a stronger version of those cross over English blends such as frog Morton. ( I have a sealed tin from 2013 that I would trade in Canada)

If you like a stouter and more traditional English mixture then I would go with Nightcap. But from the Dunhill ( now Peterson) series 965 remains my favourite.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I am not a big fan of NC, it's OK. Never had Artisan's so no opinion there. HH is good imho but remember tastes are subjective. Of the tinned English I perfer MM965. Personally I would recommend LJ Peretti blends (Omega, Royal, Tashkenk) if you're looking for a non lat bomb English. An 8 oz can is $36 so it is much more affordable and I believe a better smoke. If you want a lat bomb I would go with Watch City Cigar (Ahabs Comfort, Nor easter) same value and simply delicious.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
MacBaren Latakia Flake is good for when I want something a little sweeter. I find that it has that signature MacBaren taste that I find in some other blends like ODF and BK. Could be the casing they use.

Nightcap is a far different profile. I reach for Nightcap more than I do LF simply because I enjoy English/Balkans with perique in it.

Never had AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.