PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I really wish someone would have told me when I started to save up more and buy better quality pipes less often instead of buying cheaper mediocre factory pipes more often.
Not saying you're right or wrong, just curious...why?
Do you think a $150-$200 factory pipe like a Savinelli or a Peterson is mediocre?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've turned that over in my mind quite a bit. I can see myself with half or a quarter the number of pipes of an average much greater value. Balancing that, I will say through gifts and a few splurges, I have some higher end pipes that help cover that premium pipe experience. I have a number of factory pipes of really superior quality and of good industrial design that are as satisfying as anything I've smoked. Plus, I really enjoy and savor a wide variety of pipes from many different nations, sources, and schools of pipe making. I do admire stables of high-end only pipes, but I haven't traded my more various array for a fancier selection, which I suppose I could do.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I think more people can afford these artisan pipes they just choose not to buy them. Instead of spending $2,000 on 4 high quality artisan pipes they spend $2,000 on 15-20 factory pipes. I know I did it starting out. I really wish someone would have told me when I started to save up more and buy better quality pipes less often instead of buying cheaper mediocre factory pipes more often.
I mostly agree...I did the same thing before knowing any better...but over a period of time. I doubt anyone starts out spending 2K on 15-20 pipes all at once. But when you’re first starting out, not only do you not know any better, but you’re probably going to be much more reluctant to spend a lot on one pipe until you experience for yourself what the issues are.
Another benefit of having some experience before purchasing higher end pipes is (for me at least) it took a while to figure out the type of pipes I liked most, in terms of size, shape, weight, etc. I clench most of the time now for example, so weight matters a lot more than it used to.

Reactions: Toast

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I really wish someone would have told me when I started to save up more and buy better quality pipes less often instead of buying cheaper mediocre factory pipes more often.
That is where I found myself as well. Still no regrets with the factory pipes I have kept but now I tend to stick with artisan pipe makers and would rather have one of those than a few more factory pipes (Peterson and Briar Works in my case).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have artisan pieces over $700, and most of my best smoking pipes were estates under $50.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Lord, I think you should be specific about this. No doubt you learned of this on the web probably on a carvers own shop page. It’s not a secret or shameful.
If we’re talking about a seconds line, so what? The Allan Bros pipes, according to Jeff, use the same bowl stock and have all hand finished airways and stems.
If we’re talking about actual “shop pipes”, so what? If someone is selling a pipe that they yanked out of their beak to keep the lights on, get the link up right now.
And lastly, if we’re talking about fully finished rejects...another so what? Some folks are smokers first and collectors ninth.
Really hard to see an issue here without some specifics. On the surface I don’t see anything to react to and am kinda curious about scoring some well made pipes!
This all reminds me of an anecdote on passion4pipes years back (shame he took it all down). Neil mentioned he ran in to a pipecarver at a trade show, (I think it was Mike Lindner but can’t be sure) who’s pipes he had greatly admired for years. The two had chatted back and forth about a commission but for some reason this hadn’t come to pass. Michael was smoking his own personal pipe, and at the time he only had the one. Neil mentioned how much he liked the pipe so Michael plucked it from his kisser and handed it over to Neil as a gift.
Now, it occurs to me, if you are a Pipe maker and you’re smoking a pipe you made it’s one that you otherwise could not sell, so it’s now a shop pipe. If you only have one it means your reject rate is crazy low. Further it likely means you need to carve to eat.
Habeas corpus lord.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think more people can afford these artisan pipes they just choose not to buy them.
Absolutely! I could afford to buy ultra high end pipes, but I don't have any desire to spend that kind of money. I'm not going to get 100 times the smoking pleasure for paying 100 times the price of a mid range pipe, or even 10 times the pleasure for spending 10 times the cost of a midrange pipe. If I want to piss away money, there are a lot more interesting ways for me to do that, like a high quality camera lens.
Besides, the hardware represents only 25% of the deal. The other 75% is technique, ie: prep, packing, cadence. If you don't know how to make the most of your tobacco, a $5000 pipe isn't going to make any difference. Even a $100 pipe isn't going to make any difference.
Instead of spending $2,000 on 4 high quality artisan pipes they spend $2,000 on 15-20 factory pipes. I know I did it starting out. I really wish someone would have told me when I started to save up more and buy better quality pipes less often instead of buying cheaper mediocre factory pipes more often.
There seems to be an implied suggestion that factory made pipes are inherently inferior to artisan made pipes. If so, that's baloney, like the claim that machine made pipes are inherently inferior to hand made pipes. Many of the best pipes ever made, were made in factories, and machines are involved everywhere in the making of pipes, including "hand made" pipes. The idea that you must spend at least $400 for a good pipe has been disproven many, many times. Pick up one of Trever Talbert's LIgne Bretagne pipes for a great pipe at a modest price.
You can get the occasional stinker at any price point. Paying more than entry level gives you more quality in terms of fit and finish, a hand made stem and bit, etc, and that may add to your smoking pleasure. I know it does mine. And I have occasionally sprung for an exceptionally interesting pipe. But none of this is going to help if you don't know how to prep, pack, and sip. And, if doesn't require a huge investment to get a basically functional pipe.
Am I suggesting that there is no reason to spend a lot of money on a pipe? No, not at all. The reasons for purchasing a pipe are many and varied. I'm a sucker for historical or vintage. But from the standpoint of basic functionality, a good pipe can be had for a modest sum.
As for artisans selling pipes of "lesser" quality than their signature original lines, that's just being smart. Instead of investing in dead stock, they're repurposing it and making money from it. The great British makers did the same. They didn't waste wood. They downstreamed it. That's all revenue and that keeps the lights on and people employed.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know people on the forums for years have been saying spend more on fewer high quality pipes. I never listened... and still enjoy smoking.
+1
Also, establish a good friendship with an artisan, and they may gift you pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is true.
Back in 2012 I waved at Todd "Sasquatch" Bannard from across the show floor at Chicago, and he has mailed me a pipe every month since. He doesn't even ask to be reimbursed for shipping.
Those Canadisians shore are friendly. (And I'm not even a hockey fan)
:D :D :D

A $400 or $2000 pipe has no guarantee to smoke "better" or "perfect". You have been given the wrong information. Price has nothing to do with the smokability of a pipe. George D here has a box of pipes from me to restore, none of those pipes costed me over $200, infact only 1 of those pipes is $200, rest have been $30 to $100 max and those are awesome pipes and 90% are factory pipes.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Smoking "better" is in the eye, mouth and nose of the beholder. Unless the briar is green, (not cured properly) or not broken it, it's unlikely that anyone could tell the difference in a totally blind test. (not yet heard of anyone conducting the same)
I believe when people talk of mediocre pipes, they're talking aesthetics, not that the cheaper ones smoke worse than the expensive ones.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"

Back in 2012 I waved at Todd "Sasquatch" Bannard from across the show floor at Chicago, and he has mailed me a pipe every month since. He doesn't even ask to be reimbursed for shipping"
What's amazing is how they've all been stuck in the mail for 6 years now. Bad luck old chap!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Case in point.
20180620_123621.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.