PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

agata

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
Hello fellow forum members,

I've recently found myself captivated by the fascinating world of galvanoplasty, where intricate and beautiful creations come to life. Intrigued by the idea of crafting my own trinkets and jewelry through this art form, I've decided to open up a discussion thread to delve deeper into the subject.

While there's plenty of general information available online, I believe there's no substitute for firsthand experiences and insights from the members of this forum. I'm eager to learn more about your experiences and gain practical knowledge on the intricacies of galvanoplasty.

I'm particularly interested in recommendations for starting equipment – whether to invest in an affordable apparatus or experiment with plastic containers. Additionally, I'd love to hear about the nuances of setting up the devices, the potential challenges one might face, and any tips for overcoming them.

If you've tried galvanoplasty or have valuable information to share, I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Galvanoplastika_4.jpg

galvanoplasty is electroplating, as we discussed on another thread about how Dunhill coated a pipe in silver and gold.

I have a friend who does this with dead bees and other insects and sells them as fast as she can make them. It takes a piece of equipment that I don’t have, but you can buy at riogrande.com. I sat in on a class for this in Tucson years ago. Fairly easy, but does require the correct materials and equipment. But, it just wasn’t one worth it for “me” at the time.

Just my readers digest version, you cover everything you want covered in silver or gold with a metal paint that will conduct electricity. Rio sells one made for this, but in the hobby store they sell a metal paint for painting model cars that will work. You then connect electrodes to the object and one that just sticks in your solution. The solution can also be bought at rio, byt you can make one by dissolving silver or gold into respective acids. Then you need an amplifier of sorts to conduct the electricity that will form the dissolved metals to the object.

The largest issue will be disposal of the spent solution if you don’t want to eat your pipes or end up with it in your drinking water. I usually have the local university dispose of it for me. Twice a year they incinerate acids and toxic solutions at a very high heat under EPA supervision.