PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
By way of Hertfordshire county but once a Londoner, and all that.

My journey to the promised land of pipe smoking is probably quite an unusual one in that I haven't been a cigarette smoker since I was 18, some 16 years ago now, and my first exposure came when I discovered nasal snuff. I suppose someone else may have found it first but you know how we Europeans are; I believe I can say that, possibly not though.

I first I found out about nasal snuff through seeing videos about chewing tobacco, which many Americans confusingly call "snuff". I loved the tobacco flavour, realising then that it didn't have to be like those foul smelling cheap (yet outrageously expensive) cigarettes, and from browsing through online vendors and watching more videos, I was introduced to pipe tobacco.

That being far too simple a route, I then forgot about tobacco entirely for another four years until my friend told me about snus in 2017, which I'd heard of in my snuff days but never tried. From there I became a regular snus user and foolishly addicted to the sweet nicotine within. I was having to import it from Israel by way of Sweden because it's illegal to sell to EU countries (except Sweden..?) yet somehow kosher when exported from Israel (as in it literally avoids customs charges by being marked as "kosher goods"). I soon tired of waiting anywhere between 4 and 20 days for shipments. My solution? Why not buy a pipe?

But I didn't. Not until my friends and I arranged to buy some cigars for a long weekend away last month did I feel the time was right to smoke a pipe instead—and now here I am sipping my new Ascorti Business briar with you fine people.

I'd love to talk about my first few smokes and how only two days ago with that new Ascorti did I truly discover the flavour of tobacco, but I seem to have wasted four paragraphs explaining how I got here. All things in time, I'm sure, and I've thoroughly enjoyed my short stay here so far - there's not too much snobbery, but not too little either. Thank you all for reading and as always, I hope you weren't in any hurry.

-LD (don't ask...The Man is listening)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Be welcome Sir, and best greets from Finland, lots of younger folks here do favor swedish snus but it ain't me , I prefer American Chew over it, good thing is You're in Britain when one is able to find some of finest tobaccies on earth,though prices are scary,nontheless still (sic!)somewhat cheaper what we've gotten lately here, where a standard 50gr(1,75oz )pouch of average pipe tobacco goes like 22e(24usd)

Reactions: David_Lawrence

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Wlcome from Texas! I've always been interested to try nasal snuff. I am interested in most things English, my favorite pipe is english, as is my favorite tobacco. One day I'll get around to trying some real snuff.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Thanks all around for the welcomes. I've quickly become very fond of our tobaccos here in Britain—Gawith, Gawith & Hogarth and McConnell namely - Wilsons of Sharrow as far as nasal snuff goes, I've found them to be some of the richest most pleasing scents to pass my nose.

I'll certainly get around to sharing my Ascorti Business photos and review, though I hardly feel qualified to provide an informed review at this point but I have lots of thoughts on that Italian stunner.

stbruno70 said:
What baccy are you smoking in your new pipe?

The first I sampled in it was either the Kendal Coniston (Cut Plug) or Kendal Balkan (Flake), one was first and the other second but whichever it was it was the most flavoursome smoke I'd had to that point; I didn't realise how much difference the pipe would make but I immediately tasted and experienced what those smokers in the old videos had been speaking so passionately of.

Ashton's Artisan Blend and Peterson's Irish Flake also made their way though the Ascorti - any intentions of keeping it exclusive so as to preserve flavours went out the window when I saw how much better it smoked than anything else I owned.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the American blenders' tobaccos as our available ranges seem to differ quite starkly on this side of the Atlantic, not that I'm complaining as we're really spoilt for choice over here and thankfully the 'English blends' seem to be just my thing.

Take care guys,

Reactions: stbruno70

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That being far too simple a route, I then forgot about tobacco entirely for another four years until my friend told me about snus in 2017, which I'd heard of in my snuff days but never tried. From there I became a regular snus user and foolishly addicted to the sweet nicotine within. I was having to import it from Israel by way of Sweden because it's illegal to sell to EU countries (except Sweden..?) yet somehow kosher when exported from Israel (as in it literally avoids customs charges by being marked as "kosher goods").
that's what I was talking about earlier you can order it in a EU country from Sweden but many sellers are acting overly cautious. I'll find you some links that make snus get to you a lot faster and hopefully cheaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.